• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aborting a T/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On an FO PT once, the instructor programmed a stick pusher on take off. Obviously, I didn't know he had that planned. So on the takeoff roll, I applied some forward pressure on the yolk in line with out operations manual. Because of the pressure, the pusher didn't activate but did partially on the Captain's side. It was a situation even the senior instructor hadn't seen before. The Captain I was flying with did nothing. I assumed it was because it was a 'training event' and didn't want to call the abort. Had he tried that online, or had he not paid attention, we would have had some problems. The point - being anti CRM just because you're in the sim to me is a bad idea. I understand what is being tested, but if you have a life threatening malfunction whether or not it's in the sim should be irrelevant - regardless of who is flying.

After the LR60 crash in CAE, any conversation about RTOs is a good one.

Personally, and of course it depends on the specifics of the situation, but if I hear ABORT ABORT odds are pretty good I'm going to stop with maximum effort. One simply doesn't have the time to consider the cause of such a call when rapidly accelerating on the takeoff roll, especially above 80kts.

As has been said, a good takeoff brief should encompass abort criteria and have everyone on the same page.

At AirTran it's the Captain's call. It was the same way at Pinnacle. I did prefer Pinnacle's departure briefing, however, since it included a discussion from the Captain about aborts. AirTran's briefing includes no discussion whatsoever about what situations would warrant an abort. I think it's a horrible policy.

Team discussion is for the brief not at 140kts.

Damn, that would be on long brief! Bottom line is we don't know what the hell could happen. So I don't think you can brief for every situation.

That depends on how you do it.

It's a lot shorter and simpler to brief the items you will reject for (especially after the power is set/high speed regime) than to brief everything you won't reject for. Some things may change based on runway length...etc, but overall its pretty much the same for each takeoff.

For me: if the engines are turning = GO.

At CAL the Capt's make the call and perform the reject. T/O reject is included in the recommended brief.

One thing that does get a little old, is that many captains brief the full reject procedures with every different FO they fly with (but don't talk about specifics, they just say call it out and I'll make a decision). Unless the FO is new, that really gets to be overly redundant and causes many an FO to tune out and maybe miss some important info buried in the standard procedures refresher.

Last edited:
Here at DAL is is the CA and only the CA. We can call out a problem but it is the CA's ultimate decision.

I think it's that way at most carriers. But there's always little detail-ly things. At TWA it was always Capt abort (if the F/O's leg, capt calls: "I've got it"). Even on the F/O's takeoff the capt handled the throttles until the gear up call. Then we go to AA procedures; still only CA's abort, however for some reason F/O's initially set T/O power and then CA hand is on throttles. A useless and time wasting "musical chairs" of hands and throttles.

at SWA it is the captain's decision.

a good takeoff brief isn't that complicated.

after 80 knots before V1, only abort for fire, engine failure, windshear, aircraft is unsafe or unable to fly

the last caveat is where the captain's decision comes in, the FO should give a clear and concise description of what they think is going on. if it isn't fire, engine failure or windshear, go flying.

that catch all is for something that might not generate a light or warning but the captain decides the plane won't fly.

that is obviously the scary one that gets people killed both ways (for aborting and for continuing).

for instance, blow a tire and try to abort, you very likely won't meet your performance numbers (poor braking with a blown tire) so on a critical runway you may be going off the end if you do a highspeed abort with a blown tire. blown tires also are a tough one if you haven't had one before in that plane, might seem like much more than it is, engine failure maybe (loud noise, swerve). there is also the question as to how much damage it did to hydraulic lines, etc. then again, if you're leaking fluid, another reason you might not stop on the paved surface.

or, flaps weren't set and you didn't get a warning (madrid, possibly) some planes won't takeoff with the flaps up and some captains might get a 'this isn't right' feeling during acceleration and abort, although flaps up is an insidious and scary one. which is why they make those warnings. at SWA we check the takeoff warning both at the gate before every flight (to get it) and just prior to takeoff (to make sure we don't get it).

anyway. I've flown both ways (in the navy anyone in the cockpit could call abort) and prefer the CA makes the decision. less debate at V1. although, any captain needs to very seriously consider the input of the FO if the FO just has time to yell abort.

Latest resources

Back