• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI to SWA forced assignment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My fav is when the cappy would switch to guard after I set the next company freq without telling me. I bet the Navy boys loved hearing me call on the ground about three times before I figured it out. And no the genius in the left seat said nary a word!!!

There's always the idiots out there who have to make a relatively simple and enjoyable job complicated and miserable...

Love the stories of, well thats in the book. But they have no clue what the book says. If you say its in the book=PLEASE know what the book says!!!

No ********************:) My point is, why listen to it, RU trying to be the hero finding that lost C150 on a dark stormy night? Or are you tying to talk to the Navy?:)

Well, when I was flying a few miles from the DMZ, it was mandatory. Now it's SOP for ETOPS and domestic. And it's probably just a good idea since you can hear any ATC facility that needs your attention.

Might save someone's day. Maybe a nice approach controller say, "On guard - XYZ123, altitude alert. You look like you're lined up for Branson."

And I'm not a Guardian. I think that's AA's job. ;)

Maybe a nice approach controller say, "On guard - XYZ123, altitude alert. You look like you're lined up for Branson."
If your going to post stupid at least get it right. Why would they have warned they were lined up with Branson? Also, they had radio contact with the tower controller the entire time, even after they landed.

If your going to post stupid at least get it right. Why would they have warned they were lined up with Branson? Also, they had radio contact with the tower controller the entire time, even after they landed.

I don't know much about SWA at Branson and wasn't trying slight anyone. I have flown to a lot of uncontrolled fields under radar but with COM1 on CTAF and COM2 on company.

It's not stupid to think radar can help you more on approach than listening to BillyBob taking ON and IN times.

Well, maybe they were supposed to be landing at STL.

I don't know much about SWA at Branson and wasn't trying slight anyone. I have flown to a lot of uncontrolled fields under radar but with COM1 on CTAF and COM2 on company.

It's not stupid to think radar can help you more on approach than listening to BillyBob taking ON and IN times.
But in your direct example, they had tower and an ATC, nobody said nothing. Guard would not have helped.

But in your direct example, they had tower and an ATC, nobody said nothing. Guard would not have helped.

True. I was just trying to remind people of the general idea of landing at the wrong airport. There's better examples, I'm sure.

No ********************:) My point is, why listen to it, RU trying to be the hero finding that lost C150 on a dark stormy night? Or are you tying to talk to the Navy?:)

There are a bunch of GA airplanes that still only have 121.5 ELT's, mine included. Since no one else monitors guard but us airline guys, the MIL guys and FAA ground stations, I'll keep it up during non-sterile periods. I'd hate for a real GA accident not to be found, because I didn't have guard up when I flew right over it.

If I ever need to rely on my ELT for help, the beers are on me if you hear it, and bring the calvary.

Latest resources

Back