• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA1370 Tuesday Night...Wow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with Pipe. I more or less inform ATC that I'm deviating rather than "requesting" it.

Gup

This was definitely more than just that flight. Years of BS piling up I assume. Is airline flying really that F'd up? Is American going through some hard times?

We had two US Airways jumpseaters on the same flight the other day. One was East and the other was a West. I could tell that there was alot of tension between the two of them, so to lighten the mood and get some friendly chat going, I started off by asking them what they thought of the Nic award. Big mistake!

We had two US Airways jumpseaters on the same flight the other day. One was East and the other was a West. I could tell that there was alot of tension between the two of them, so to lighten the mood and get some friendly chat going, I started off by asking them what they thought of the Nic award. Big mistake!

Did the shrink clear you to fly again? If you're the same cat I think you are, I seriously doubt it.

There are some people in Brazil who'd like a word with you about that.

Well there is that pesky task of actually turning it on, I'm surprised we haven't gotten new procedures on that:rolleyes:

Well there is that pesky task of actually turning it on, I'm surprised we haven't gotten new procedures on that:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what happened. :rolleyes:

Nevermind this from the NTSB report:

"... When the airplane was about 30 miles north-northwest of BRS, at 402 pm, the transponder of N600XL was no longer being received by ATC radar... "

After the Brazil crash, an Airworthiness Directive was issued affecting the specific transponder/RMU installation that was in that Legacy.

From the AD: "This AD results from the transponder erroneously going into standby mode if the flightcrew takes longer than five seconds when using the rotary knob of the radio management unit to change the ATC code. We are issuing this AD to prevent the transponder of the COM unit from going into standby mode, which could increase the workload on the flightcrew and result in improper functioning of the traffic alert and collision avoidance system."

I've had the pleasure of flying behind lots of Honeywell equipment, and I've personally seen a lot of software bugs in their stuff.

But hey, go ahead and hang the crew if it makes you feel better.

All I know from the limited amount of knowledge I heard about it was that it wasn't on. Whether it was the crew or not, I'm just saying it has to be on. Simple as that! Not hanging anyone or anything!

Ah, OK. The way you wrote it, you seemed to suggest they didn't turn it on, not that it wasn't on. Subtle difference in wording, but a dramatic difference in meaning.

Latest resources

Back