• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA will increase to 40/month starting July

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P.s. I tried like hell to get hired by TWA back in '98-99.... because it seemed like a great group of guys to work with. Stepping stone, maybe... but I was a commuter dawg who was trying to move on, and I would've gladly landed there. NOBODY knows what's in the cards in this business.

Half of my FO's in '99 and '00 were leaving for other airlines. Most went to USAir (we all know how THAT's working out...) and Delta. One that I know of went to AA and one (what a moron...) went to SWA in 2000.

You just never know. TC

11 ex TWA and 2 FedEx pilots in my 4/00 Newhire class. Nobody knew what was in the cards but some were sure guessing. Some right and some "not so much"

I think part of the reason pilots get so unhappy and bitchy is b/c up until we got hired by an airline, we were in complete control of our destiny- If I failed, it was on me, if I succeeded it was my satisfaction.- Now we are along for the ride and no matter how good I am- I am completely married to my company-- while our bosses are not so attached at all. There is nothing that will drain you quite so well as a feeling that you are not in control of your life.

We need seniority-- but we need a national list that allows us to move company to company without such a huge penalty. I don't really care who's logo is on my tail-- i care that i live where i want to and i have real security: ie: is there a market for what i do? yes- than why are we taking so many hits?. How many pilot's lives are going to be turned upside down b/c protecting our seniority at an individual company takes away all our leverage. We get a national list-- and it doesn't fall on us to save the company-- let em go under like all our passengers want- and we'll fly for whoever fills the void... People are still going to fly. With all the intelligence we have in aviation- i'm smart- but there are brilliant pilots-- we can't figure out a better system than this? Don't want 22 year olds on it? Fine- have a regional list and a major list... I never minded paying my dues like the military guys. You think you have security now-- how can any airline pilot say that? (PanAm, TWA, Eastern, Braniff., pensions... ad nauseum) Think about what seniority on a national list would mean to your job security?

Yep, this here moron/hot dog salesman went to TWA in 98 and loved it and wanted to stay there. I had numerous family friend ties there, had grown up hearing about TWA etc. Yes, I knew there was risk involved and I dreaded the oncoming winters because there was the fear we wouldn't make it through. The arrogance of the pilot community to think they are impervious to downturns has been dealt a blow through all these bankruptcies. The previous poster who believes AA is in such fine shape should be thankful he still has a pension, pay, benefits, etc. AA is NOT out of the woods and won't be for a long time. Why do you think the bypass rate is so high? A lot of us have found decent work and want to see what happens over the next few years because we do not want to experience ever again what we and our families have been through.
Waveflyer, I know what you mean about being along for the ride. I often commented to my wife how I felt like everyone (management, FAA, union, congress, bankers, etc) had a hand in my fate except for myself. We are no longer in an industry where you join up at age 26 and stay with the same company for the next 34 years and retire and play with warbirds and move to Del Boco Vista Phase 4. We are like every other professional who will likely change employers throughout his/her career. You may not agree with me if you're safely ensconced in a major with decent seniority, but poll the thousands out there who are not in that position.
We should be able to take our skills, training, experience to other more competent employers and not be treated like scum fresh out of flight school.

The recall acceptance rate is about 36%, if AA continues to recall to the end of the list...AA should hire of the street beginning mid to late 2009. Those around the 2300 mark should be back around Nov 2008 (year and a half).

Aren't some of those guys deferring until they HAVE to come back or go elsewhere ? Perhaps waiting it out for seniority/job security reasons ?

I wonder how many of the 3000+ furloughs will ultimately come back ?

I've heard 50% at most, although I would think maybe a bit more than that, say 60%.

I guess that'll determine when AA starts street hiring. It will be at least a couple of years, though.

AA is NOT out of the woods and won't be for a long time. Why do you think the bypass rate is so high?

Funny thing is that the TWA dudes accept the recalls at a much higher rate than the native AA guys.

Why?

The TWA guys hates the AA evil empire so much, yet they want to come back for more....:rolleyes:

Funny thing is that the TWA dudes accept the recalls at a much higher rate than the native AA guys.

Why?

The TWA guys hates the AA evil empire so much, yet they want to come back for more....:rolleyes:

They accept the recalls at much higher rates, because so many of the TWA guys were flowbacks. Would you rather stay at Eagle or go back to AA? By the way, where did you get your info. anyway. I haven't seen that statistic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back