• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to get Leather Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talking with a LUV buddy of mine, he mentioned that they have to pay for their jackets too.

AA wants $300

How much is SWA & FedEx charging? Are they nice?

Jackets

The leather jackets at Fedex cost from about 295 to 325 depending on which liner you buy. They are pretty nice jackets. The company will reimburse a newhire $300 for uniforms the first year, and the jacket can be rolled over for a year, so youare reimbursed for about 150 worth of unis and 150 of the jacket your first year, and then you can get another 150 back for the jacket the 2nd year. After that you continue to get up to 150 back for unis per year.

Re: Re: Morale?

I really hope they don't make them wear the epaulets on the outside of the jacket however. That just looks plain silly. Do they make you wear them like that at JB? I don't think they do at Alaska...but I could be mistaken.

Our leather coats are optional at Alaska. Most of the pilots wear them though. Much easier on a RON. Ours don't have the epaulets on the outside. Just the wings that can be removed for the night.

The jacket is from the San Diego Leather Co. Very good quality and sharp. They are about $350 or so.

SWA jackets are from Perrone Leather, and they are quite nice. A newhire buddy mentioned I think $350 he paid, which seemed a little high to me but I may be remembering wrong and/or the cost may have gone up, or that may be with the zip-out liner option. For SWA a couple of "custom" touches come standard (emboridered emblem on the sewn-in liner).

Good to not need to pack a jacket for the overnights, and even without the liner they're good for about as cold as it gets in the US. IF you envision early AM preflights for the next several winters in a far north base, I'd consider getting the zip-out liner, if they offer that for you. Normal latitudes, skip it. Don't get the sewn-in thinsulite liner unless you're perpetually cold -- you'll bake in it otherwise!

Most guys are real happy with the jackets. Enjoy!

San Diego Leather has some nice jackets. If any of you guys ever get to Osan South Korea you can get very nice quality jackets there for $115. In my opinion they are even better than SDL. Go to Oxford Leather. Some of you probably know where I am talking about.

Stop in for a "Juciey" after... :)

G4G5 said:
"If they really want to boost their morale then why doesn't the company buy the jackets for them? I know it worked wonders at a certain LCC!"

With approx 10,500 remaining pilots @ $300 per jacket, that equates to $3,150,000.00. Anyone not furloughed has over 3 years seniority.

Or if they have to buy all 13,500 pilots a jacket that's over $4 mill.

How many pilots with over 3 years seniority does JetBlue have?

If AA choose to spend between $3-4 million on leather jackets after the concessions they just received, I would personally drive to Center Port and kick Arpey's AS$.

I have to admit that might boost my morale.

Hey G4G5,

Am I to infer form your post that there are 3000 pilots on furlough? OR are you including the Eagle guys? Last I'd heard it was closer to 1300 AA/TWA on the street...

Thanks

are you **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ting me?? they're still gonna furlough again in Mar? I had heard they were re-growing their ops and adding capacity in the South American runs... how are they manning this airline? Too many guys are working over time or something to make up for their pay cuts!

Sad.

Latest resources

Back