AA to furlough 178 more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furloughs

I've heard the reason AA is furloughing is because some Eagle pilots won a court case. This is allowing them to flow to AA and thus causing the furlough. True or false?

-False

-When supp w. is complete there is a possibility of more furloughs

-When the JAL deal is complete there is a posibility of more furloughs

-I can really see where the over 60's come into play

It's an arbitrator's ruling (Nicolau) that states that TWA flowbacks are considered new hires along with AE flow-throughs... and as such, the more senior AE flowthroughs (about 400 and change)would come to AA in the first recall class BEFORE any TWA furloughee - Never mind the fact that the TWA pilot was at AA and the AE pilot wasn't!

Not sure if this is the main reason for the furlough but wouldn't be surprised. The Co paves the way for AE flowthrus with minimum hassle by furloughing 200 AA pilots.

I beg to differ about the ruling. I believe his logic is sound. One must remember that a flow through is nothing but an AA pilot on assignment at Eagle. The basic logic is that the company needs a certain amount of pilots to operate the airline and for a flow through to come to AA it would have to be for newly created positions. They didn't allow flow throughs to come to AA when they should have and now we have this current mess. While I hate to see my fellow pilots still awaiting recall, I still side with the former APA president who said,"Seniority rules in all situations." It was a bad precedent for APA to go against seniority and I only hope it doesn't hurt the pilot group in the future.

Personally I don't understand why we don't merge the two lists and be done with it. I never understand why we have one group furloughing while another is hiring. I guess someday we will have leadership in the APA and AMR that will look at how ridiculous such an scenario is.

Sound Logic? 1990 hires are New Hires? That is where the logic is flawed. I am wearing an AA uniform and get an AA paycheck and then furloughed 8 years later and I am a New Hire. Makes sense.

Last edited:
Sound Logic? 1990 hires are New Hires? That is where the logic is flawed. I am wearing an AA uniform and get an AA paycheck and then furloughed 8 years later and I am a New Hire. Makes sense.

Sound logic when looking at the deal signed between AA and AE when you worked at a different company. If they didn't use that logic then Letter could set aside whenever the company wanted. Not to open another wound, but if you were given DOH then this wouldn't have been an issue.

+1

Ace, there is absolutely no logic to an arbitrator ruling that a TWA pilot furloughed from AA should count as a new hire. Granted, they may have been hired in 1990 at a different airline but they were furloughed from AA as AA pilots. The AE flowthrus are NOT AA pilots and never set foot on the property. On top of that, they shouldn't even be flowing until AA conducts a NEW HIRE CLASS - NOT a furlough recall class.

False. The furlough is because the over 60 guys haven't been retiring like the company thought they would. The flow through issue isn't settled yet and probably won't be for some time.

-False

-When supp w. is complete there is a possibility of more furloughs

-When the JAL deal is complete there is a posibility of more furloughs

-I can really see where the over 60's come into play

Thanks for the info guys. A TWA/AA furlough told me this and was quite upset. I guess he may only be prematurely upset...ouch.

Thanks for the info guys. A TWA/AA furlough told me this and was quite upset. I guess he may only be prematurely upset...ouch.

They don't know whether it's false or not, AWAC. They are just stating their opinions, as am I. While AMR officially says the furloughs are due to bad financials and the over 60 crowd, they always have an unsaid motive - and methinks one of those motives is to "make room" for the Eagle flowthrus without creating a messy scene. This is JMO, based on past bait and switches at this company.

Bingo!!!

It's an arbitrator's ruling (Nicolau) that states that TWA flowbacks are considered new hires along with AE flow-throughs... and as such, the more senior AE flowthroughs (about 400 and change)would come to AA in the first recall class BEFORE any TWA furloughee - Never mind the fact that the TWA pilot was at AA and the AE pilot wasn't!

Not sure if this is the main reason for the furlough but wouldn't be surprised. The Co paves the way for AE flowthrus with minimum hassle by furloughing 200 AA pilots.

...add this to the the above reasons for the furlough and you have the big picture. AMR furloughs TWA guys and when they recall, they recall the Eagle flow throughs. The DOH of the TWA guys will be from early 1996 to 1989 (LOS). AMR will be paying out a number of months of pay to these guys as per the contract. The maximum being 5 months for guys over 10 years of service.

Latest resources

Back