• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA takes off without flaps!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Embpic1, I gotta disagree with you on this one. If someone sees a fire before the crew, well good on them. But thats not what happens. Those hundreds of false alarms are just that, false. Useless and a waste of time. I didn't know an A300 routinely took off with no TE flaps so I learned something today. Pax get off the jet all the time with concerns and worries, well I would just as soon not hear them (although I do take the time to allay their fears or assure them that we will look into that "shimmy dampener that need s adjusting). Not once in my recollection has any one of them been founded. Do I hope that if the stars align perfectly and the guy/gal in 17C is the only one on the jet that knows we are in trouble and the cause, well then hell yes I want him to speak up. But..... I also want to win the lottery and that probably wont happen either.

It's cool that some of you guys are calling to take it easy on the guy and have some very rational reasoning for doing so. On the flip side, I know a lot of know it all "I'm a perfect pilot" PPL's who think they're hot sh*t and in reality they're just groundschool flunkies who think they've been trained to fly anything with wings, so it takes all types I guess. I'm not saying this particular PPL is like that, but I dunno, not sure I would've gone this route in this case, since I don't know anything about Airbus flap settings on take-off, but if someone who DID know something and there actually was a real risk to safety didn't say anything for fear of upsetting the crew, then yeah, he/she shoulda spoke up regardless of the captain's ego. Just Monday Morning QB'ing here. Anyway, I like the FI fightclub post! That's some funny sh*t! :laugh:

PS- I think theGuat made this all up anyway! :laugh:

PPS speaking of know-it-alls and whiners, I can understand that you flight crews probably get more complaints from the pax then compliments. When I was a student with only 9 hrs I took a flight on an F28 operated by Horizon Air. It was a night landing at PDX. The pilot greased the landing, I mean it was perfect, and I had a real appreciation for landings since I couldn't land the 152 to save my life at the time. I told the guy next to me that was a great landing. So, on my way out, one of the pilots was standing there, and I told him, "nice landing" He looked at me like I was being some kind of wiseguy while the f/a smiled and told me "buh-bye" while he stood there and said nothing, just looking at me like I was something on the bottom of his shoe. It's a bummer 'cause I'm sure you all get more bit**ing than sincere compliments. Anyway, Fly Safe!! It's a tough job, glad you're willin' to do it!:beer:

Last edited:
I thought after the NWA accident in DTW it was a requirement to have an aural warning on transport category aircraft when the flaps/ and or slats are in a TO setting. I know every transport aircraft i have flown has it.

I have taken off in 767 with a flap setting of 1 degree. In the case of the Airbus, and the 767 the LEDs are extended. Maybe our hero should have looked for that.

AA

Nice job, Mamma...you improved your grammar today. Now if we could work on your whole sucking theme...I guess you're a sore male flight attendant.

Nice try, but I think you have me confused. I am not the sore male flight attendant you have in mind. That dude must be one of your other conquests. Are you sure you didn't take one of those Laboule balls to the head?

Last edited:
MD-10 will use slats with no trailing edge flaps for T/O on some occasions also.

If the flaps are not in the T/O range (or what you set in the FMS) you get Betty yelling..."FLAPS, FLAPS"

Past....

MD-10 will use slats with no trailing edge flaps for T/O on some occasions also.

If the flaps are not in the T/O range (or what you set in the FMS) you get Betty yelling..."FLAPS, FLAPS"

Past....

We call her "Bitchen Betty" on the 80.....

AA

Embpic1, I gotta disagree with you on this one. If someone sees a fire before the crew, well good on them. But thats not what happens. Those hundreds of false alarms are just that, false. Useless and a waste of time. I didn't know an A300 routinely took off with no TE flaps so I learned something today. Pax get off the jet all the time with concerns and worries, well I would just as soon not hear them (although I do take the time to allay their fears or assure them that we will look into that "shimmy dampener that need s adjusting). Not once in my recollection has any one of them been founded. Do I hope that if the stars align perfectly and the guy/gal in 17C is the only one on the jet that knows we are in trouble and the cause, well then hell yes I want him to speak up. But..... I also want to win the lottery and that probably wont happen either.

I'm with pedro and mud eagle on this one. The chance that some numb-nuts with 50 hrs and a private ticket is going to save the day is remote at best. The chance that the same numb-nuts, with just enough knowledge to be persuasive to a layman, will unduly panic passengers is nearly a certainty.

BBB

I thought after the NWA accident in DTW it was a requirement to have an aural warning on transport category aircraft when the flaps/ and or slats are in a TO setting. I know every transport aircraft i have flown has it.

I have taken off in 767 with a flap setting of 1 degree. In the case of the Airbus, and the 767 the LEDs are extended. Maybe our hero should have looked for that.

AA

Jagshemash,

On Detoilet Maddog crash flew by Ninja with Attitudes, the takeoff config warning was installed but did not work but investigators not know reason and never figure it out.

Borat

I'm with pedro and mud eagle on this one. The chance that some numb-nuts with 50 hrs and a private ticket is going to save the day is remote at best. The chance that the same numb-nuts, with just enough knowledge to be persuasive to a layman, will unduly panic passengers is nearly a certainty.

BBB

Bingo!

AA

Latest resources

Back