• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA seeks to cancel labor contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in '03, Hawaiian airlines filed BK and the judge upheld their contracts. The story I heard was that Hawaiian filed BK in Hawaii and the judge there seemed to be pro-labor, hence his ruling.
Nope. The Judge never ruled. The company and union negotiated a new contract the right before he was to rule. The pilots voted it down and a revised TA was than agreed upon and approved by the pilots.

That scum will slash and burn and then bail out as soon as they either reemerge from bankruptcy, or merge with another airline.
With obligations in excess of the capacity to generate revenue, AA can't give itself away to another airline. Oh, wait Doug Parker likes a good fixer-upper. He calls it Habitat for Insanity.

All of the post 9-11 pilot contracts were negotiated and not imposed. In other words, the pilot groups caved before the judge had to make that decision.

However, the Northwest flight attendants decided not to agree to a contract and the judge voided their contract and the company imposed a new one. The flight attendants tried to go on strike and the judge said they couldn't. They eventually agreed to a contract and signed on the dotted line.

What has never been tested in court is what happens after workrules and pay are imposed during bankruptcy but the company then exits bankruptcy. This is no man's land and probably would make it difficult for an airline to raise money to exit bankruptcy. So a pilot group could use this to their advantage and not sign on the dotted line until they are satisfied their sacrifices are necessary for the survival of the airline.

What this means is that you will see Eagle flying 737s by 2015, you just wait and see. Then the dominos will fall. RyanAir in Europe already pays their 737-800 FO's about $27,000/year and Doug Parker is drooling.

What this means is that you will see Eagle flying 737s by 2015, you just wait and see. Then the dominos will fall. RyanAir in Europe already pays their 737-800 FO's about $27,000/year and Doug Parker is drooling.

And if the profession allows it, we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

RyanAir in Europe already pays their 737-800 FO's about $27,000/year ...

A quick search shows they pay their new-hire Captains GBP112.23/hr which converts to $179.70/hr...

http://www.stormmcginley.com/p/h/Home/Job_Details/29/?lang=&rcv_id=249&fromrss=yes

I don't see anything about FOs (and I'm not in the mood to do a half hour of research), but a couple of years ago when I did look into it I recall RyanAir in Europe paying their FOs fairly well, and I recall some other benefits like day trips only-home every night, either morning or afternoon reports for the month but never mixed, etc.

Latest resources

Back