• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hi guys... as TC mentioned, it's the double red-eye that sux big time. JFK-GIG leaves at 2135 and arrives around 0830 with 10hrs flying time and only a couple hours time change - a true all-nighter. Have the whole day and next day off, then leave GIG around 2000 and arrive JFK around 0600. Another red eye. This is esp. hard on the relief pilot, he gets first break and it's hard to sleep during first break (cabin lights on, dinner service, loud.) Then you have to be up for the rest of the flight. Nothing against Rio, I love Brazil but it's too hard on the body! Europe is much better... leave around 1700-1800 form JFK and land around 0700-0800 in Europe which is midnight, body time.

I think the newhire classes will be 50% off the street and 50% non-flowthrough Eagle pilots (up to 800 something). Anyone confirm this?

TC

TC... 1 AE pilot for every 2 new hires, up to a maximum of 20 AE pilots per class.

Stow those boards! :laugh:

TC... 1 AE pilot for every 2 new hires, up to a maximum of 20 AE pilots per class.

wow, not bad for those AE guys.... any guess as to how many years on the property those AE guys will typically have who qualify for this flow? Is it a foregone deal that all will take it?

What's life like for a junior guy commuting to reserve on the DC9-80 or B737? I think I know the answer. Can you pull any reserve from home (long call)?

Reserve at AA blows. Most regionals have better reserve rules than us. Long call is 12hr call out, so in most cases you can pull it from home. Short call is defined as "reasonably available by ground surface transportation." Most consider that to be between 2-4hrs call out, but there is no time defined. Reserve lines have 11-12 days off and is based on a leveling system - if you fly a trip, you're in the next higher block and someone with less hours gets called out on the next trip before you.

That just sounds like reserve to me....and we have a pretty good contract at SureJet. In fact, ours says we have 2 hours to be at the airport and in the NY area, that can get dicey depending on when you get called. Reserve sucks no matter what I suppose.

I was just entertaining your kid. ;)

TC

P.S.--Thanks for stirring up a $h!tstorm on C&R and driving me over here...:eek:

May I ask why you don't like the deep south trips? Just curious if it had anything to do with the flying? or not your favorite overnight?

Thanks

I'll add from the perspective of 15 years of exposure to them. I avoided them and generally took the few dollars less to fly daytime 757. I'd guess that the majority of guys doing them are commuters since the odd dep/arr times make it easy. Some guys have girlfriends south or are just stuck in stagnation hell and need every last 767 dime. (It might be $50 leg more than flying the 757).

If you fly MIA-GIG (RIO) and you're not chasing chicas, you might leave Monday night at 11:20pm, land about 8 hours later. Monday night is off, and can be fun if your single or single south of the equator :laugh:. Tuesday night you fly 8+ back to MIA arriving around 4:15 am. That isn't too bad, the worse deep south arrivals are near sun up. The drive home blows. Unless you live in Hialeah and speak Cuban (not spanish), you're looking at a 1-2 hour drive to America. I've done it ok since falling asleep one morning on the Turnpike northbound. Woke up 20' in the left grass. Those who know the drive know that 75% of the road is bordered by concrete bridge abutments and 20' deep canals. What is the term "sheer terror"?
There is a quiet room in ops, tried that a few times. The problem is I could never sleep postflight because the body tells you, "you're in an airport on your own dime, what are you thinking?". After staring at the ceiling for 2 hours, another sleep drive attempt.

The best way I found to deal with the trips is to just get on a late schedule of staying up until 3-4 and sleeping until Noon. Figure that one out with small kids. (That's not Daddy, he's just playing his John Wayne Gacy act):eek:

So now after you've arrived back home on Thurs am from Rio, you sleep that day if you can avoid fixing the house and picking up kids, the next day is shot because you still feel like crap. Saturday you feel a little better, Sunday you sleep great and are back on schedule, but Monday you're back trying to scarf an afternoon nap and trying to avoid putting on the JW Gacy clown suit beacause of the noisy kids. Repeat 4-5 times a month.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back