AA recall rumors/gossip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aa73,

I hope your right. My problem is that I have no confidence in the senior managment. They've sucked as we've shrunk and I predict they will suck as we grow. Ever see Arpey in person? any pilot can bamboozle him with a question that will have him looking at the floor while he tries to imagine putting on a poker face. That's where Hettermann learned his filibuster skills. When you're clueless, talk about nothing.

If you tried that with Crandall or Bob Baker, you'd be carved and cooked in under 15 seconds, and they'd proceed to do that to 75 other pilots asking questions until everyone was bloodied. They knew their sheet.

Maybe they should merge with US Air they already have an Arpey. He might be able to merge the 2 airlines in a decade.

aa73,

I hope your right. My problem is that I have no confidence in the senior managment. They've sucked as we've shrunk and I predict they will suck as we grow. Ever see Arpey in person? any pilot can bamboozle him with a question that will have him looking at the floor while he tries to imagine putting on a poker face. That's where Hettermann learned his filibuster skills. When you're clueless, talk about nothing.

If you tried that with Crandall or Bob Baker, you'd be carved and cooked in under 15 seconds, and they'd proceed to do that to 75 other pilots asking questions until everyone was bloodied. They knew their sheet.

Hey, I agree... I have no confidence in management, either. What I do know is that even our clueless management has been backed into a corner and must strike out in the only way possible - grow. I'm just hoping we pick up a visionary CEO at some point.

No slots left at JFK!

However, you could buy jetblue, get slots, another new terminal, MD-80 replacements in the 320 and 100 seat jets in the 190, plus a great purchase price on more 190's. Additionally, the jetblue pilots are non unionized, so you can probably do with them as you please!

I think you've pretty much nailed it... I would not at all be surprised to see a deal/merger/buyout with Jetblue.

I think you've pretty much nailed it... I would not at all be surprised to see a deal/merger/buyout with Jetblue.

That would be an ugly integration for the jetblue guys. Even with DOH it would be a staple job. Maybe they will get lucky and have Eagle stapled below the jetblue guys.

Yeah because flying a 737 is so much harder than an rj. It always makes me laugh when I read job requirements requesting "heavy jet time" and that rj time or private jets don't make the cut. It's safe to say that my corporate jet I fly has the same automation, higher climb rate (thrust to weight ratio), and matched speed as a 737, but it doesn't count because it's not heavy enough.

I would like to see the AA heavy drives get in an Eagle Saab or ATR and fly 6 legs a day with the autopilot deferred. I've done the Saab and it was far more challenging with it's dated systems and flight characteristics than any jet I've flown. Also the Saab ground school was a nightmare compared to the jets I've flown.

Just my two cents.

Having done 8 leg days in the non-AP E110 and SD360 and flying the 767, I believe I'm qualified to speak on this subject.

If you haven't done it, don't make statements like you did. You don't know jack $h!t about flying a 400,000 lb. airplane. The Citation and Beechjet don't exactly bump up your large jet flying street cred. It's the 'momentum' that gets you.

The 757/767 is the toughest airplane I've ever had to learn--I've got 4,000 hours on the damned thing and I still don't know it as well as I do the others I've flown. The 757 will get you in a box down low because it's just so clean and won't slow down if you're light. ATC is always pushing us to keep the speed up and it takes one hiccup to get you out of your descent profile and you're assh0les and elbows all the way in trying to slow.

Someone once told me the -80 was really slick and won't slow down and go down. It comes down like a brick compared to the 757.

Not trying to give you a beatdown--you'll learn. We all have gone through this--eventually, you know what you don't know. But, don't dive in the deep end if you aren't a good swimmer.

TC

P.S.--When I was looking at Emirates, they wouldn't accept GV/GIV PIC time. I understand. If that's the biggest airplane you've flown, you ARE a risk for training failure compared to some guy with 3,000 hours of 737 time. There IS a difference.

Yeah because flying a 737 is so much harder than an rj. It always makes me laugh when I read job requirements requesting "heavy jet time" and that rj time or private jets don't make the cut. It's safe to say that my corporate jet I fly has the same automation, higher climb rate (thrust to weight ratio), and matched speed as a 737, but it doesn't count because it's not heavy enough.

I would like to see the AA heavy drives get in an Eagle Saab or ATR and fly 6 legs a day with the autopilot deferred. I've done the Saab and it was far more challenging with it's dated systems and flight characteristics than any jet I've flown. Also the Saab ground school was a nightmare compared to the jets I've flown. /QUOTE]

I'll play.

I've got 2800 hrs, and a worthless type, in a BAe3200 at TSA. No A/P, no YD, no elect trim, no lav. I also have a type in a BAe4100, also worthless. I went from the j41 to the L10 at ATA (1600 hrs). Hardest airplane I've ever learned, but the best hand-flying airplane I ever flew. I have a B757 type, easiest airplane I've ever learned, and a lot of fun to fly (400 hours). I've flown the B737-300, -700, and -800. Was perfectly happy to spend my career on it.

I flew many, many 10-leg days on the J32, with scheduled reduced-rest overnights. Both the J32 and J41 were easy to plan even with crappy weather. Pull the power back, and they come down. Flying with FO's who've never flown a larger jet, I've found that they don't know how to plan a descent. I've sat in the JS of EMBs and CRJs (thanks for the rides :)) and they're a piece of cake. They climb really slow, and I've been vectored around them many times during a climb out because of it.

For example: 3-1 rule for descents. Few know how to do it in their heads. You also have to plan for decelerations. The L10 took 9-10 miles, depending on weight, to slow from 300 to 250 KIAS, the B757 about 7 miles, and the B737 4-5. The RJs I've seen rarely are above 270 KIAS, if ever above 250. It usually takes a similar distance to get from 250 to 210. The L10 you can't use flaps and speed-brakes at the same time.

I sat in the JS of a TWA DC9 JS with the A/P deferred. Needless to say, it was the FOs leg. He did fine.

In large jets, just about every runway length is a factor. 7000' is a long runway for an RJ, not so with larger jet. Throw in the fact that some of these runways are seen maybe once a week, (or once/twice a year) not 10 times a day, and it can get pretty tense.

I used to say that I'd always want to fly with someone that can hand-fly. I do, but now I also want to fly with someone that can manage all the "magic" in the cockpit, and not be "high and fast" all the time.

When it comes down to it, you get interviewed by who you know, then what you know, but you get the job by how well you bullsh!t. You keep the job by how you fly and play with (serve) others. One last thing. There's string around these parts about "Airline types need not apply" that applies to a corporate position. You never see that for airline jobs.

Hope you never see your company shut down. It's worse than being furloughed.

Last edited:
That would be an ugly integration for the jetblue guys. Even with DOH it would be a staple job. Maybe they will get lucky and have Eagle stapled below the jetblue guys.

Then get ready for a fight. "Fair and equitable" is the order of the day, and the law. A merger with a healthy, profitable airline with more than 150 mainline jets won't fly with a staple, or with DOH. It might take years and a lot of APA's dues money but they'll still lose. Nobody wants that.

Then get ready for a fight. "Fair and equitable" is the order of the day, and the law. A merger with a healthy, profitable airline with more than 150 mainline jets won't fly with a staple, or with DOH. It might take years and a lot of APA's dues money but they'll still lose. Nobody wants that.

I think you are mistaken. When you merge a nonunion with a union carrier the law won't save you.

I think you are mistaken. When you merge a nonunion with a union carrier the law won't save you.

No, you have it wrong. When 49% or less of a carrier--either union represented or not--is acquired/merged, whatever--then the Bond/McCaskill legislation does not apply.

In all other instances a right of arbitration is the minimum...whether union represented or not.

stlflyguy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back