• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA pot-stir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First year pay is not grounded in reality, but if we're honest with ourselves neither is pilot pay in general.

Prior to the very late 50's and early 60's flying was not a high paying profession (if you could call it that) especially relative to the risk. Payrates rose when airlines needed to attract and retain talent to ensure that their expansion, whether it be the introduction of jets with their high costs, or the expansion in route authorities, went smoothly. Now is no different. Mergers are expensive and they need to be largely free of major labor interruptions and airline caretakers (very few have any vision) know this.

When the economy stumbles or some major event rocks our world, no one should be surprised to see the concession stand opening. Sure there will be cries of unity and "Full pay to the last day", but enough of us have been around long enough to know that this is the dark side of the merry go round we work on and when they need labors cooperation to grow (and that will be rarely) they will take the cork out of the piggy bank.

So if you are blessed with a little fatter paycheck for a while, enjoy it. Take your wife out for a steak, a bottle of wine and a side of perspective.

Tried to post the like button but it proved too much of a challenge. Good post!

Last edited:
I really don't know how many times I got say this, but nobody here seems to get it...

AA's current contract is still recovering from AA's trip through BK. While many improvements were made, pay improvement is still in progress, including first year pay.

Delta and United first year pay came up REMARKABLY after their Ch 11 exits and mergers, through their new JCBAs. May I remind everyone here what their new hire pay rates were before that? It was in the 30$/hr range, similar to ours today.

Now that we are out of BK and merged, you can expect our new hire pay to also come up to delta and united standards with the JCBA.

It's not rocket science folks... work with me here.

First year pay is not grounded in reality, but if we're honest with ourselves neither is pilot pay in general.

So if you are blessed with a little fatter paycheck for a while, enjoy it. Take your wife out for a steak, a bottle of wine and a side of perspective.

But..but..but, Airline pilots should make $400K per year minimum! That's what it would be if you took the pay in the 70's and factored in inflation :bawling:

Seriously though, perspective is a perfect word. I'm by far probably the highest paid guy in my small church (and I'm making the lowest wages of any major airline pilot). One guy has an MBA and works at the DMV and a second job at Chick fillet. Another is a high school teacher pulling down no more than 45K per year and paying about $1200 per month in insurance premiums. He took a second job teaching a college class at night so they could repair their kitchen. He leaves his house at 6AM and gets home at 11PM.

Here I am sitting home sometimes up to 30 days at a time without going to work (short call reserve). Have I made as much as my peers lately? No where near. However, I've got nothing to complain about.

Where do you live? Where I'm from it takes about 650k to buy a decent fixer upper on a tiny lot. If you don't mind living on the outskirts you might get something for 450k. Considering the massive liability pilots shoulder every time they go to work they should be able to afford living in the cities in which they are based. 400K sounds about right for the right seat:)

Where do you live? Where I'm from it takes about 650k to buy a decent fixer upper on a tiny lot. If you don't mind living on the outskirts you might get something for 450k. Considering the massive liability pilots shoulder every time they go to work they should be able to afford living in the cities in which they are based. 400K sounds about right for the right seat:)

I've never thought it right that there is NO cost of living adjustment for airline pilots. Total scam by those who live in the Dallas's of the world.

45 minutes to the CLT parking lot. 2800 square feet; 4.5 acres. 200K.

I really don't know how many times I got say this, but nobody here seems to get it...

AA's current contract is still recovering from AA's trip through BK. While many improvements were made, pay improvement is still in progress, including first year pay.

Delta and United first year pay came up REMARKABLY after their Ch 11 exits and mergers, through their new JCBAs. May I remind everyone here what their new hire pay rates were before that? It was in the 30$/hr range, similar to ours today.

Now that we are out of BK and merged, you can expect our new hire pay to also come up to delta and united standards with the JCBA.

It's not rocket science folks... work with me here.

Aa- that's really good- it's just historically airline unions haven't cared about first year pay and I think that really hurt us after 9/11- we'd all accept about anything to keep from changing companies-
Upping first year pay across the board (and as the biggest now- AA is a huge part of that) will give us just enough leverage to stave the next downturn a little bit better.

Latest resources

Back