Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Pilots BOD turns down Last Best Offer from AMR!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I've be reading a lot of stuff. From the analysis it's logical that a AA/USAir merge has potential. The size of UCal and DAL marginalizes us independently, but figures can lie and liars figure. The devil is always in the details. We are facing a "bad or worse" decision on our side of the fence as AA stand alone plan is the "worse" choice for sure.

Management has been trying to sell us by broadcasting the AA stand alone will bring "20% growth" in AA flying. When pressed, they publicly admitted that only 7% of that growth is AA flying. The rest is going to code share with the loss of Scope. Why would we support that?

Unit

No doubt AA is in a tight spot. I guess I question whether Parker's plan will really be any better than the standalone plan. In my opinion they are both turd-burgers, except one is promising higher pay.

US/AA will add size, but is it in the right areas? Does AA desperately need more feed from Salisbury, MD and random third tier east coast cities?

I'm not privy to the CLA from Parker, but what is the deal with scope on his plan? Will he reign in the 88-seat unlimited that is currently in place at US?

Hearing that Delta and SW are looking at taking the 73's in the fire sale. Don't know about the pilots, but somebody will have to fly them.

I like how these AA guys who see $$$$$$$$$$ and the deal offered by US are willing to sell out their own company. Do you really think the management at US Airways is any better than what you have now? Do you really think jobs will be saved with a merger with a company that cannot get its own house in order? I am an outsider looking in-but I think its just a cop out to say that AA cannot stand alone on its own. In that case.... then a start up like jet blue will not work, nor Virgin.... or any other example. I think this is just another case of the senior guys willing to sell out everyone else to preserve their bottom line.

I like how these AA guys who see $$$$$$$$$$ and the deal offered by US are willing to sell out their own company. Do you really think the management at US Airways is any better than what you have now? Do you really think jobs will be saved with a merger with a company that cannot get its own house in order? I am an outsider looking in-but I think its just a cop out to say that AA cannot stand alone on its own. In that case.... then a start up like jet blue will not work, nor Virgin.... or any other example. I think this is just another case of the senior guys willing to sell out everyone else to preserve their bottom line.

The market needs fewer legacies, and this is the way to do it. 3 mega carriers, a few LCCs will be able to fight better against the Emirates and Singapore Airlines of the World. The US Legacies need to make consistent profits to be able to order bigger planes to protect the US market and go out and fight for others.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The market needs fewer legacies, and this is the way to do it. 3 mega carriers, a few LCCs will be able to fight better against the Emirates and Singapore Airlines of the World. The US Legacies need to make consistent profits to be able to order bigger planes to protect the US market and go out and fight for others.

Bye Bye---General Lee

To compete against state sponsored airlines who have oil money supporting their business model one needs a level playing field and that would mean government introduction of fees or levies on those arab airlines who have an unfair advantage. Ruining a company, ruining the job market, and greed are not a way to "compete". The likes of Emirates will still have an advantage in new aircraft (financed by their government), service, and fuel costs after our industry is destroyed. The only difference is there will be no jobs in our industry, no lift to cities, which will only make the public want to open up our markets to foreign airlines with foreign pilots to service those cities. Your precious Delta is already abandoning small markets towns, whats to say that small cities are not next? ALPA (DALPA) and every other union will have lost all its power in protecting cabotage. Unlikely? Just wait and see what happens if the lift decreases to such a degree your 3 mega carriers scenario happens.

Wow, Delta guys are sellouts for not holding the line on RJs but AA guys are sellouts for trying to preserve as much of their contract as possible. Maybe it's easy for me to say because I am on the outside of this, but I think if I were at American I would fight like hell to preserve my contract, and then if that didn't work I can always go to work at JetBlue, VA, or Allegiant for no pay and no benefits if AA fails...which is not very likely.

The problem with giving in, is that no matter how much you give, the company is going to ask for and the judge is going to give them more. If you offer 10% concessions then the judge is going to look at 12 or 13% as only 2 or 3% more than you have already agreed to give.

Good luck...What will be interesting to me will be what APA will expect in an SLI with USAir, considering APA's reputation when it comes to SLI. Being stapled to the bottom of a profitable carrier is better than being on the street right? We'll see what APA's reaction to that argument is now that the shoe is shaping up to be on the other foot.

Latest resources

Back