• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Future Plans/Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are we sure that all of the 386 will get called back before the Eagle flow-through guys? In going through all the cryptic information we get from the company, it seems as though the 100 or so folks still in training at the time are considered "terminated with recall rights" and therefore are not protected by supplement W which governs the flow through/back. Ok, since these folks are not allowed to flowback, is the reverse true in that once the recall gets to them, the Company must hire any Eagle flow-through pilot that has met the 2 year lock-in (there may be a few of those by then) before continuing on to recall the remaining 100 furloughees? We have been told explicitly that no Eagle flow-through can come on property until all the furloughees are back. But does this include the furloughees that are considered terminated with recall rights? From what I understand there are over 400 Eagle types that have seniority numbers that have yet to show up on property. These folks are not counted in our furlough numbers, but if they have to be hired before the terminatees (ugh, don't like the sound of that word) then we might as well add 400 to the 690 we will have on Furlough as of May 1st. Any thoughts?

I found this in a question/answer thing from APA. The last paragraph should clear things up.

Q. What about my probation period while at AE?

Management has clearly stated that a furloughed AA pilot who accepts a CJ Captain position at Eagle and has not completed the 12 month probationary period at AA will complete the remaining months of probation at Eagle if they completed less than 10 months of probation at AA.

Also, keep in mind the following: Eagle Flow-Through RJ Captains will not be integrated in the recall to AA. Furloughed pilots will be recalled in seniority order. Once recalls are completed, AE flow-through pilots will be hired at AA in accordance with Supp W,

The italics are mine.

But does that clear it up? Again, the last sentence says "in accordance with Supplement W". The last one hundred folks aren't covered by supp W. Both the Company and the Union have stated so. So when push comes to shove and 400 Eagle guys are pointing at supp W what will happen? What's enforceable in court? Remember, the guys without a late occupational seniority date were originally terminated, but the APA negotiated recall rights for them. I'm not trying to pis* anyone off, I just want to make sure we get all the facts on the table. I truly don't know what the company will do, but being a sh*thouse lawyer like most pilots have to be, I'm trying to interpret this cacaphony.

Call APA and ask them. I understand your point of not being furloughed, but being terminated. So the question is: Does Supp. W for Eagle flow-through pertain to those with recall rights (furloughed) OR those who were furloughed AND those who were terminated.

I'm fuloughed, so I know I go back before any Eagle guy can come over. I would definitely call APA to find out if you are one of the terminated guys.

Let us know what you find out if you call.

Last edited:
Actually I'm a furloughed guy also, by about a dozen people or so. I was just pondering the question for those after us.

I was at the APA offices today, and I asked them that question. They stated that ALL AA pilots will be recalled before any Eagle flow throughs are offered a class at AA. This DID include the 100 or so pilots that were still in training when the furloughs were announced. The Eagle flow throughs will not be offered classes until AA begins to hire again.

Thanks for the info! You have any idea how many Eagle types there are senior to the most junior AA guy to go over?

This ask and answer may help. It also confirms that the Eagle flow-throughs won't show up until all furloughees are recalled.

Furlough and Recall Numbers

Q: Please help me make sense of the pieces of information which I have been able to obtain regarding furlough and recall numbers. Based on the information I have seen, at present, there are 594 AA pilots and 310 TWA pilots on furlough. The announced recall of 208 AA pilots on 5/1/02, which I understand will align the current furloughs with the integrated single seniority list, means that there will be 386 AA pilots still on furlough. Yet on the published single seniority list, there appear to be 486 AA pilots below the most junior TWA pilot. Why does there appear to be a discrepancy?

A: You have a clear picture of the furloughs. There are 594 on furlough from AA and 310 on furlough from TWA. 208 of the AA furloughees are being recalled May 1. This will leave a total of 696 on furlough.

Now to clear some of the confusion. On the combined seniority list there are about 410 Eagle flow through pilots who have upgraded to Captain on the RJ, have been assigned a seniority number at AA, but had not finished their two-year lock in. Since they were never hired, they are not being recalled. They will come to AA when we begin the new hire process somewhere down the road. You can identify these pilots by looking under the DOH column. Since they have not been hired, they have no class date listed.

By my calculation there are 475 pilots listed junior to the most junior TWA pilot. This means there are 386 on furlough and 89 Eagle flow through.

To give you more information than you asked for, by my calculation:

On 4/10/2001 there were 14,360 pilots on the combined list:

AA 11,613
TWA 2,337
AE Flow 410
Total 14,360

Hope this helps.

Anne Evans
Director Flight Administration

Now that we've beaten the recall order to death, are the first few newhire classes going to purely Eagle. What else do we have to talk about now?

Hey guys,

Just spoke to a friend of mine DFW S80 FO. He said the flying has really picked up. He's on reserve, flew 75 hrs last month and has been called everyday this month to go fly. Hopefully this trend keeps up.

Latest resources

Back