• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA: Furloughs? A plan? Retirements?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why on earth are not more senior guys at AA taking there money and running? I would think it would be a no brainer.

Because until BK is imminent why punch out? The B fund unit value just moved north again.

Many of these pilots are re-evaluating monthly what to do. You can be certain if things get worse and BK is imminent you are going to see anywhere from 1500-2000 guys bail out overnight like DAL had a few years back.

IMHO

AAflyer

The industry is not in that bad of shape. We are making tons of money!!!! We are just using more than we make!

UAL could be out of business this time next year.

... and I could hit the Powerball jackpot.
That wasn't the subject at hand, but if it makes you feel better to throw that one on the table, have at it.

I wish that I could have a buck for every post since 911 that had UAL going out of business in (fill in the blank) months. You guys remind me of the 'Bring out your dead' scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

The industry is not in that bad of shape. We are making tons of money!!!! We are just using more than we make!

:p
You sound just like Lawrence Yun from the NAR. :D
You too could have a bright future in the PR world. Have you considered applying to the Baghdad Bob School of Spin?
Morals and ethics are disqualifying handicaps; get rid of them before considering a career in the business.

Edit: For those not familiar with Lawrence Yun, here's a recent article: http://www.realtor.org/research/reinsights/forecast
Recent home sales: http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/8252378049d4dfd4a1a4e10ae92e22c9/EHS052308.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=8252378049d4dfd4a1a4e10ae92e22c9

Last edited:

is that patrick ewings take on the airline industry?

... and I could hit the Powerball jackpot.
That wasn't the subject at hand, but if it makes you feel better to throw that one on the table, have at it.

I wish that I could have a buck for every post since 911 that had UAL going out of business in (fill in the blank) months. You guys remind me of the 'Bring out your dead' scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

You missed it completely.... I take your comments about picking up 737s about as much as you listen to all the idiots on here with UAL doom and gloom.

In other words what happens, happens.

I merely pointed out current manning and what the current game plan is..

Of course things are subject to change So is everything in this world. Do you get that?

Sticking by my former posts,

AAflyer

P.S. Andy, you for the most part have had very professional and factual posts, not sure where the attitude is coming from? However if we park the 80s and take no 737s, you can tell me "I told you so":)

P.S. Andy, you for the most part have had very professional and factual posts, not sure where the attitude is coming from? However if we park the 80s and take no 737s, you can tell me "I told you so":)

What's the delivery dates on the 73s? There comes a certain point where you can't turn them off without a huge penalty.
I'm pretty sure that your first deliveries are early 2009, so I doubt that you'd see the first ones turned off. As to the ratio of 80s parked vs 73s delivered, that's another matter.

As for AMR furloughing, if there's a mass exodus for the door ala Delta, that would obviously help alleviate furloughs.

I understand they MAY take delivery of three (3) 73's a month starting in Jan 09. Total for 2009 may be 34 and perhaps( a very big perhaps of 36 in 2010), unfortunately replacing the aging S80 fleet on a 2 73 for every one S80 rate.
Like others have posted, they feel that even with a lease rate the 73's are a better deal with the price of oil north of $100 a barrell.

IMO, they will furlough starting in the mid to late fall, just how deep they go this round is anybody's guess.

I am one that may get furloughed so this is not good news at all.

Best of Luck to everyone.
Cheers

Apparently, during yesterdays 04 Jun recall class they announced that they DO NOT plan to defer any of the oncoming 73's. So if that is the case then AA should begin accepting new 73's at a rate of 3 per month starting in Jan 08.
The big questions still remain:
1) retirement #'s
2) MLOA returnees
3) Quickness of the Bus and S80 reductions
4) the big concern being
the price of oil.

So with that in mind it should be an interesting ride over the next few months.

The information that I have been given is that they may start the flying schedule reduction in early Sep.

How long that goes on for and how many pilot's are going to be affected, only time will tell.

Best of luck

JP what say you?

Latest resources

Back