• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Flight 48 oopsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think most 767 pilots on this site agree the crew did a fine job and we would have done the same thing. The hardest part of the job sometimes are the flight attendants in back who don't understand what the cockpit is dealing with. We don't write the email to the press when a flight attendant totally screws up in the back because it is not professional and honestly, no one cares. A very few flight attendants take joy on degrading pilots and will do most anything to fullfill their vengence. My flight attendant wife has verified it.

Hop on the "Logic Train" Girls and Boys:

- YOU HAVE JUST Departed and then discover you have a "Problem".

- YOU DON'T know what the "Problem" is. Your Manuals, QRH, and Training give you no guidance.

- Your Company tells you: "Just go ahead." ( Based on Economics.)

- YOU are the PILOT-IN-COMMAND.

- YOU continue to Destination ( How many hours?) , with an UNKNOWN PROBLEM.

- YOU are an IDIOT.

Glad it worked out for these Fools. This time....

YKMKR

Good post, I agree considering the first reports indicated a sound of an explosion when it initially came off, of course they will tell you to continue, that's a no brainer, the last thing I would do is take an unknown problem such as this across the pond, no thanks.

If it was such a great decision to continue, why are they trying to sweep it under the rug? :rolleyes:

But if a panel was missing would you take off again without it? Anyone want to tackle this tough question?

Only in accordance with the B767-300 CDL. And after having looked in the CDL - this panel isnt listed, therefore it is required for DISPATCH. If they had landed short, the aircraft would be dead in the water, unless they landed at a MX base who just so had that particular panel in stock, and since they didnt know which panel they wouldve required (they didnt know they needed a panel at all); it is a very good chance that if they landed short - say a JFK or ORD (and I dont know if those are MX bases for the 763, or if they were along the flight path), a good chance they wouldve been dead in the water.

They were past the point of dispatch, hence, the QRH is guiding - no guidance in there, and none in the B767-300 FRM, and having read that DECS message, it appears the crew used good CRM; had trained people (read additional pilot crewmembers) monitoring the cabin area for funky noises - they used all of their resources (like we ALL are trained to do) and pressed on.

The sticking point for some is proceeding with a POSSIBLE problem; maybe we have a problem, maybe not. Someone heard something, we dont know what. The airplane was flying just fine - the fuel flows were where they should be, all other indications were normal. Dump 100K of fuel and do an air return to DFW for a maybe, a could be. Unfortunately the Boeing folks didnt rig in a MISSING PANEL light which triggers the master warning. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Good job by all attached with the operation - TUL MX, Dispatch, and of course the flight crew. I wouldve concurred with everything they did.

Last edited:
Hop on the "Logic Train" Girls and Boys:

- YOU HAVE JUST Departed and then discover you have a "Problem".

- YOU DON'T know what the "Problem" is. Your Manuals, QRH, and Training give you no guidance.

- Your Company tells you: "Just go ahead." ( Based on Economics.)

- YOU are the PILOT-IN-COMMAND.

- YOU continue to Destination ( How many hours?) , with an UNKNOWN PROBLEM.

- YOU are an IDIOT.

Glad it worked out for these Fools. This time....

YKMKR

This is the best answer. It's almost a canned interview question. WWYD.

You know Rez, you are really smart, in this case, just a smart a##.

Hell, for all the crew knew, it could have been a gear door seal sticking out in the slip stream.

You would have done differently, great, however, they did what they thought was best and the rest is history.

Closer to DFW was over MLW. If all was good but uncertain then fly to New England... land. If nothing is wrong, take off and continue....

Is that so hard?

But if a panel was missing would you take off again without it? Anyone want to tackle this tough question?

Sure, I'll give it a shot...

....ummm

You're an idiot?

Latest resources

Back