• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Flight 48 oopsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't believe the FA's threw them under the bus too.

You know how the media blows things our proportions. Even the title of the article makes it sound 100x worse than it is.

It was probably an unusual sound for the FA's and Pilots, but nothing too out of the norm, otherwise they would have returned.

Dont forget that a British Airways B747-400 had an engine failure just past rotation from LAX-LHR, and that crew orbited KLAX for about 15 minutes, low altitude, talked to London MX, then continued for a 12 hour flight to London; ended up having to Divert to Manchester (or Glasgow, not sure which) because they were getting skosh fuel.

Interested to know if on arrival they plugged it with cardboard and returned to USA It seems if the ship will be grounded on foreign soil what was the benefit? A quickly prepared equipment change in ORD or JFK would have been been another choice maybe

I'm not going to Monday-morning quarterback what the crew did because I wasn't there, but if I diverted for every funny or weird noise I hear in the cockpit or that's reported to me by an FA, I'd never get anywhere.

"the hatch just blew..."

Hop on the "Logic Train" Girls and Boys:

- YOU HAVE JUST Departed and then discover you have a "Problem".

- YOU DON'T know what the "Problem" is. Your Manuals, QRH, and Training give you no guidance.

- Your Company tells you: "Just go ahead." ( Based on Economics.)

- YOU are the PILOT-IN-COMMAND.

- YOU continue to Destination ( How many hours?) , with an UNKNOWN PROBLEM.

- YOU are an IDIOT.

Glad it worked out for these Fools. This time....

YKMKR
Probably the way the Feds will look at it.

"the hatch just blew..."

Wow, thread drift. In Grissom's defense, both time technicians activated the hatch jettison mechanism during the Mercury Program, they broke their arms.

The hatch really did just blow.

Press on, they did the right thing with the indications they had. They brought together all those agencies they needed to discuss the potential problems-- so it's not like they didn't respond to the FA's concerns about the A/C's condition.

Latest resources

Back