• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA cant take the heat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe that AA still pays rent at DAL. Funny that they quote a monopoly when they currently pay rent and have an option to reside there, unless the rent is left over from the Legend murder.

enigma said:
I've got a few friends who fly for AA, so I need to make it clear that the next rant is intended purely against AA management.:)

Dan Garton says "If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from DFW Airport", to which I have to ask; if AA is sincere about growing and competing, why do they not fly out of Love? I seem to remember that AA found a way to lose a ton at Love in order to squash Legend, but I guess that Mr. Garton has conveniently forgotten the recent past.

The Legend deal should prove to anyone that AA has ZERO sincerety and ZERO desire to compete on a level field.

While I'm on a rant, let me ask this: Why do we have the Wrong amendment in the first place? Does anyone think that FortWorthless Jim Wright just decided to attach a rider to another bill because he wanted to hep (proper way to spell the way Wright pronounced help) out the competitive enviroment in the metroplex? If so, I know of a bridge in Brooklyn that's rumored to be on sale.

Short and simple. AA has a history of anticompetive behavior in North Texas. Now that SWA is trying to compete, AA management, along with DFW management, is crying like whipped pups. So sad

enigma

You got dat right!

Wal-Mart and 'low price' at what price?

enigma said:
Please explain the "wolf in sheeps clothing" statement.

Has SWA ever pulled a WalMart(jacking prices up once they run the competitors out of business)? Does SWA have a history of losing money just to run others out of the market? Do average ticket prices rise, or fall, after SWA enters a market?

enigma

To me SWA has a few things in common with Wal-Mart. They enter markets, offer the same or similar products at lower prices and that causes other companies to go out of business. In some cases these companies don't go out of business but merely downsize, or restructure their expenses (labor included).

If they were to run a competitor out of business in a certain market, I would hope they would increase their fares in that market. What's wrong with maximizing profits?

Is it a real success that ticket prices on average are lower after SWA enters a market? It is if you're a LUV shareholder/employee, or resident of this market. But, what is the price of 'low-price'? What SWA does is remarkable, how this affects our profession in the long-term is still playing out.

cheers

flyby said:
What SWA does is remarkable, how this affects our profession in the long-term is still playing out.

cheers

How this affects our industry is that we will continue to be a low cost leader, other companies that continue to live in a fantasy land of contrived economics, will not. Not a slam, just economics 101.

Ciao.

What you don't realize is...

UAL will fly to Love not DFW
DAL will fly to Love not DFW

NWA will fly to Love not DFW

CAL will fly to Love not DFW

AWA/USA will fly to Love not DFW

AAI will fly to Love not DFW

F9 will fly to Love not DFW

Southwest should be cafeful or they may just get what they wish for

We realize it so bring it to love field, just drop the wright ammendment already

Don't worry. The WA will not get overturned with the current administration in place in Washington DC.

AA is much too powerful right now, trust me.

The Wright ammendment needs to go away, and it will go away. SWA has incredible pull on Capitol Hill.

Anything that involves reducing fares in a high-fare market (i.e. DFW) will eventually fly.

I think it's pretty safe to say that SWA will get its way, and AA is going to need to come up with some way to compete against them, with the mass influx of pax at Love Field when the thing gets dropped. May you live in interesting times...

Flying the Line said:

Well, the passengers will benefit from more choice then - and all of those carriers will have to reduce their fares to SWA levels to be competitive out of Love... Good luck.

I agree with On Your Six, not flying on those old, run-down MD80s will be a joy for almost everyone... The Wright Amendment is an anachronism and an outdated barrier to consumer choice - a barrier that AA supports... That's pathetic, anti-capitalistic and an embarrassment to anyone who works for AA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back