• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA tech

American Says Wright Repeal Would Be Double-Whammy for North Texas
Thursday May 26, 1:06 pm ET

FORT WORTH, Texas, May 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In response to Texas Representatives Jeb Hensarling and Sam Johnson declaring today their intention to sponsor legislation to repeal the Wright Amendment, American Airlines Executive Vice President Dan Garton said:

"This is a double-whammy for North Texas. If Southwest gets their way again, both the economy and the environment will surely suffer. First, repealing the Wright Amendment will be a setback to the region's growth. Second, the inevitable and dramatic rise in air traffic at Love Field will harm the environment in the neighborhoods around the airport. Make no mistake, the number of flights from Love Field will increase to levels never planned. "This push by Southwest reflects the understandably selfish intentions of a company that today is roaming the halls of Congress seeking special favors. If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from DFW Airport -- and they wouldn't need an act of Congress. We're confident the community will not let Southwest risk the quality of life for North Texans just to preserve and expand their monopoly at Love Field."
But it's ok when the shoe is on the other foot give it up AA

AA is no angel, but Southwest is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Nice flip-flop and the Dallas Love restrictions, though.

They are right though, it is a double whammy for north texas. Lower fares and more choices. What a concept!!

"This is a double-whammy for North Texas. If American gets their way again, both the economy and the environment will surely suffer. First, confirming the Wright Amendment will be a setback to the region's growth. Second, the inevitable and dramatic rise in air traffic at D/FW will harm the environment in the neighborhoods around the airport. Make no mistake, the number of flights from D/FW will increase to levels previously hoped for. "This push by American reflects the understandably selfish intentions of a company that today is roaming the halls of Congress seeking special favors. If American were sincere about growing and competing, they would be welcoming the challenge from Southwest -- and they wouldn't need an act of Congress. We're confident the community will not let American Airlines risk the quality of life for North Texans just to preserve and expand their monopoly at D/FW."

SWA tech said:
American Says Wright Repeal Would Be Double-Whammy for North Texas
Thursday May 26, 1:06 pm ET

FORT WORTH, Texas, May 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In response to Texas Representatives Jeb Hensarling and Sam Johnson declaring today their intention to sponsor legislation to repeal the Wright Amendment, American Airlines Executive Vice President Dan Garton said:

"This is a double-whammy for North Texas. If Southwest gets their way again, both the economy and the environment will surely suffer. First, repealing the Wright Amendment will be a setback to the region's growth. Second, the inevitable and dramatic rise in air traffic at Love Field will harm the environment in the neighborhoods around the airport. Make no mistake, the number of flights from Love Field will increase to levels never planned. "This push by Southwest reflects the understandably selfish intentions of a company that today is roaming the halls of Congress seeking special favors. If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from DFW Airport -- and they wouldn't need an act of Congress. We're confident the community will not let Southwest risk the quality of life for North Texans just to preserve and expand their monopoly at Love Field."

But it's ok when the shoe is on the other foot give it up AA

I've got a few friends who fly for AA, so I need to make it clear that the next rant is intended purely against AA management.:)

Dan Garton says "If Southwest were sincere about growing and competing, they would be flying from DFW Airport", to which I have to ask; if AA is sincere about growing and competing, why do they not fly out of Love? I seem to remember that AA found a way to lose a ton at Love in order to squash Legend, but I guess that Mr. Garton has conveniently forgotten the recent past.

The Legend deal should prove to anyone that AA has ZERO sincerety and ZERO desire to compete on a level field.

While I'm on a rant, let me ask this: Why do we have the Wrong amendment in the first place? Does anyone think that FortWorthless Jim Wright just decided to attach a rider to another bill because he wanted to hep (proper way to spell the way Wright pronounced help) out the competitive enviroment in the metroplex? If so, I know of a bridge in Brooklyn that's rumored to be on sale.

Short and simple. AA has a history of anticompetive behavior in North Texas. Now that SWA is trying to compete, AA management, along with DFW management, is crying like whipped pups. So sad

enigma

labbats said:
AA is no angel, but Southwest is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Nice flip-flop and the Dallas Love restrictions, though.

Please explain the "wolf in sheeps clothing" statement.

Has SWA ever pulled a WalMart(jacking prices up once they run the competitors out of business)? Does SWA have a history of losing money just to run others out of the market? Do average ticket prices rise, or fall, after SWA enters a market?

enigma

“If Southwest gets their way again,”

Man AA, Get your facts straight and stop spinning.
1968 Dallas and Fort Worth, under pressure from the federal government, agree to build a regional airport to replace Dallas Love Field. The airlines serving Love pledge to move to the new airport. That does not include Southwest Airlines, which did not exist.
J3

enigma said:
Please explain the "wolf in sheeps clothing" statement.

Has SWA ever pulled a WalMart(jacking prices up once they run the competitors out of business)? Does SWA have a history of losing money just to run others out of the market? Do average ticket prices rise, or fall, after SWA enters a market?

enigma

I may be alone in this, but I for one am tired of seeing Southwest as the "good guy" company. They are just as cutthroat as anyone else out there. Southwest agreed very recently to abide by the limitations of Love field, then quickly changed their mind. Now this bill is being sent up post-haste through to help them expand on their Dallas Love loophole. Imagine the conflict in Denver if Stapleton didn't close down and this same problem was being faced out West.

As I said, AA is about as mean as they come in competition, but let's call a spade a spade when we talk about Southwest too. I don't see much getting in the way of them and what they want either.

AA just can't compete..........

I love the public relations spin job.... AA is a dinosour that simply can't compete - and they want to stifle the consumers' ability to make a choice in Dallas... AA is running scared and everyone can see it.

Give me a break about noise levels - last I heard the 737-700 (which will make up most of the fleet within a few years) is reasonably quiet - a heck of a lot quieter than those crappy MD80s... What a joke! Next thing you know AA will request gates at Love for competition's sake (like their previous FK100 operation out of Love) in order to reduce Southwest's potential volume of flights - to limit SWA's upside potential out of Love. AA won't mention how noise levels will be impacted by their own aircraft...

As Abe Lincoln once said, "you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time..."

Labbats wrote;
"Southwest agreed very recently to abide by the limitations of Love field, then quickly changed their mind. Now this bill is being sent up post-haste through to help them expand on their Dallas Love loophole."

I agree that SWA is competitive, but SWA is not going back on anything. They do intend to abide by the 32 gate expansion plan that was established .
http://www.dallaslovefieldmasterplan.com

The Wrong Amendment and the Love field master plan are two differnet things.
J3

Latest resources

Back