UAL will fly to Love not DFW
DAL will fly to Love not DFW

NWA will fly to Love not DFW

CAL will fly to Love not DFW

AWA/USA will fly to Love not DFW

AAI will fly to Love not DFW

F9 will fly to Love not DFW

Southwest should be cafeful or they may just get what they wish for

CAL already flies to DAL with 10 flights and day and DFW with 20 flights day. Point is, SWA knew what they were in for when they decided to operate out of DAL.

Last edited:
mdf said:
AA made the market in DFW, SW made the market at DAL. I say it is time for both sides to play their respective hands without the other crying about it. Giving gates back is akin to giving little johnny another chance on his exam because he couldn't cut it the first time around.

Actually you have it wrong. They both have played their hands, and now SWA (aka little johnny) doesn't like it and wants to change the rules in the middle of the game. If you want to change the rules you have to start the game over.

SWA operates out of 14 gates at KDAL. The Legend terminal has been deconstructed/renovated I believe. AAL still is listed as having 1 gate, and CAL has 2, but they share with AAL. If anyone else wants to come in they're going to have to spend some bucks to renovate gate space. I doubt the city will pony up very much money, if any, for someone to move out of KDFW to move to KDAL.

I imagine any lifting of restrictions would be incremental over time. SWA has said they would be amenable to such restrictions.

AMR is going to have to come up with another game plan besides high fares on RJ's. If they weren't worried about the competition at KDAL, they wouldn't be putting up such a fuss. They'll still have a commanding presence in those areas where driving to KDAL would be too much of a hassle. The DFW area is growing northward and westward. Collin county, where I live, is equally served by both KDAL and KDFW. Tarrant, Denton, and Wise counties are probably better served by KDFW. KDFW will always be the airport for Int'l travel. Lifting this restriction might allow Ft. Worth to get more federal moneys to upgrade KFTW for airline travel.

shroomwell said:
Actually you have it wrong. They both have played their hands, and now SWA (aka little johnny) doesn't like it and wants to change the rules in the middle of the game. If you want to change the rules you have to start the game over.

Actually the game is still being played, which is the reason this thread was started in the first place. The WA is not a rule, it is the govt placing arbitrary restrictions on business. It is time to let everyone compete without trying to tie one players hand behind their back. Even if the player is Shaq.

I'm sorry Fltby

flyby said:
Scoreboard,
You seem a little sensitive to my analogy about wal-mart and SWA. Enigma brought up wal-mart and I made a post that 'ran' with this comparison. I thought I was being complimentary speaking of how they (SWA) are remarkable. I meant that in a flattering way. Let me say it again, in a different way. I admire the fact they can be profitable while offering low fares. Does that clear things up a tad?

Allow me to elaborate my original point to clarify. The public has decided that low fares are more important than anything else... for the most part. So, we give them those fares. SWA does it profitably and if other carriers wish to match, and try to retain their market share, they will have to operate in the red. Would I expect SWA to raise their fare structure to allow more of the other carriers to be profitable? Heck no. They have been operating as a tremendous success on that model, why change? SWA has a low cost model, other carriers match that model and now they're taking pillows off airplanes. What next? Bring your own seat? Maybe the other carriers should have tried to compete on something other than fare... but, once again, that's what the public values most.

Fastforward a few years, competitors are getting leaner and meaner and there are more profits (albeit modest) to go around. What have we accomplished? The price of fuel is up, costs are rising slowly and I fear that Big profits from an airline, any airline, is a thing of the past. Would that make airline stock a good investment? How about the salaries and wages at these airlines? Compensation across the board has declined. There are certainly other factors (affecting compensation) but low fares in a high cost environment is one of them.

When I started this career it was my dream to work for SWA. I am customer-driven, I actually care about people. Unfortunately for me, I'll probably never get a chance. I envy those that have.

good luck!

110 in PHX working in the yard, note to self, take lap in pool before reading into posts...

AA is certainly going to have to do better than they do in ATL. Last week, within 1 hour of 2 departures, not a single agent was anywhere near any one of their four gates, although hundreds of people were waiting for someone, anyone to help them. The only agent anywhere around was the one who had closed the door 20 prior to departure, and told a revenue passenger "no you can't get on, I've already done the paperwork." The airplane pushed with 20 open seats. No wonder they can't compete with this kind of customer service.

The WA was an agreement by all parties at the time of construction of DFW. Southwest came along very shortly thereafter and thus got by with operating out of DAL. Had Dallas the foresight to shut down DAL or Southwest come along a year earlier this debate wouldn't be going on.

labbats said:
Had Dallas the foresight to shut down DAL or Southwest come along a year earlier this debate wouldn't be going on.

And if I were taller and better looking I'd be an actor and not a pilot. "Might have beens" and "ifs" don't matter. The WA has become a crutch for American, they've made DFW unappealing to anyone else, they stiffle any competition, and they keep their ticket prices high. The only loser if the WA is repealed is AA - why does one Texas airline derserve better treatment than another? Why should the consumer (the customer - remember them?) suffer for AA's benefit?

Ex737Driver said:
CAL already flies to DAL with 10 flights and day and DFW with 20 flights day. Point is, SWA knew what they were in for when they decided to operate out of DAL.

Check your history. SWA started operations in 1971 out of DAL. The WA was passed in 1979, interestingly, the same year SWA started service to one city (New Orleans) outside of Texas.

Latest resources

Back