Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
R

RJDC

Is it true that AA and Eagle have been directed to not use nav lights during the day and to minimize the usage of other lights as much as possible?

Yeah, that's a procedure we adopted from TWA. Course now we're gonna have a whole bunch of dark airplanes at night when we forget to turn em back on.

You'll get used to it.

It still seems wasteful to me when we (at AirTran) leave them on all the time and leave the strobes (HI-INT) on during the day above FL 180.

Every little bit counts, I just wish we wouldn't wait until we're in trouble to adopt some of these procedures.

A neat little trick we've been doing lately is shutting down #2 at cruise on the 727 to save a little extra gas. Once you are at cruise it really doesn't help you that much unless you climb into the mid 30s.

Who else has got some neat energy saving tricks?

AlbieF15 said:
A neat little trick we've been doing lately is shutting down #2 at cruise on the 727 to save a little extra gas. Once you are at cruise it really doesn't help you that much unless you climb into the mid 30s.

Who else has got some neat energy saving tricks?

Just one engine, I heard if you got a valsan, and your light, you can shutdown 2 engines.

We stopped using JetA and switched to home heating oil. It tends to freeze at altitude so we just drift down, wait for it to warm up and start the process over again.

Of course we up grade to diesel for our over the water intl flts, we find the stuff from Hess tends to limit freezing until the mid 20's.

Last edited:
Eagle has gotten an FAA waiver to run a 50/50 mix of Jet A and filtered fry oil from the airport food court. It's less than a tenth the price, and works great!

The company has been handing out passes to McDonald's employees to get them to push the french fries. We want to make sure we have a sufficient supply!

The FBO's tend to get a little peeved when I stick 47 five gallon cans in their crew car and run over to the Hess station. What I have noticed is that they don't say anything on the first trip to the filling station, it typically takes until the 5th trip before the manager comes out. I found offering the manager a Hess truck stops him from taking a swing at me when I ask him to hold the funnel when we fuel over the wing. We asked our pax to try bring their own 5 gallon cans to off set the fuel cost but the boss's wife keeps bringing unleaded.

The next crew gets a little angry over the smell in the crew car, so we try to leave those fur tree air fresheners. Just trying to do the right thing.

I have not turned a light on since 9/11. We use the rechargeable Mag lites as ldg lites. Each captain is responsible to bring 2 flashlights with him. We use a little management tape (two faced) on the glare shield to hold them in place.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back