• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA 757's...could it be??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
.....from a guy that has a DC-10 on his Avatar!!!:) That is the previous generation before the MD80. Where is your magenta line?! You better check your INS.

Not even an MD-11? Box-boy, please!!!

For the record, I have never met a plane I didn't like!

Nice vis-recce there ace. It's mo-definitely an MD-11 (I know they're small but the winglets are there). You sure those eyes are going to make it another 10 years?

You're only as much of a slave to the magic & automation as you let yourself become. The MD-11 is just as fun to fly with the magic off as the "Super" :rolleyes: 80. I like having the option to do both, personally. I've met a bunch of guys like you at UAL and FX. They cling to the oldest, crappiest aircraft in the fleet like some kind of cult. "By gawd, I'm going to retire off the 727. I ain't gonna fly no glass cockpit, automated, new-fangled jet!" They claim some kind of luv for some antiquated POS because it has round dials or flys with pulleys, rods or wing-warping - whatever. What is usually boils down to is a fear of training, lack of confidence or a personal Q of life agenda that keeps them in their seat. To each his own. The only aircraft I ever came close to feeling so strongly about had a gun & missiles, flew like a dream and was undefeated in air combat. Airliners or freighters are just something to fly from A to B for a lot of $jack$.

To me, an IRS, magenta line and glass cockpit equate to mo' $$ and that's what I like. I'll be a "box-boy" laughing all the way to the bank. :D

Cheers.

What is usually boils down to is a fear of training, lack of confidence or a personal Q of life agenda that keeps them in their seat.

You forgot one important factor - a love of flying the aircraft itself. Since I got into this job because I love flying, it goes without saying that I wanna fly a fun aircraft. In my case, the 80 fits the bill just fine... and it's an old round-dial, which I like even better than all that glass crap. Finally, being the only aircraft out of ORD that consistently sets off the car alarms off the threshold of 22L... well, my chest has a few more hairs!

I never was lucky like you to fly cool military jets, so I have to settle for the "boring airliners." Still havin' a blast though!

regards, 73

You forgot one important factor - a love of flying the aircraft itself. Since I got into this job because I love flying, it goes without saying that I wanna fly a fun aircraft. In my case, the 80 fits the bill just fine... and it's an old round-dial, which I like even better than all that glass crap. Finally, being the only aircraft out of ORD that consistently sets off the car alarms off the threshold of 22L... well, my chest has a few more hairs!

I never was lucky like you to fly cool military jets, so I have to settle for the "boring airliners." Still havin' a blast though!

regards, 73

Hey, more power to you. If you like what you're doing, that's great. We'd all be miserable if we all wanted to do the same thing.

I will ask..... based on your profile, how is it that you know you like "old round-dials" more than all that "glass crap"? (sitting on the jumpseat of Le Bus doesn't count). I've done both and frankly, when you're hand flying, they seem pretty much the same. Based on the amount of "fun" as you can actually have in an airliner, I really don't see how one can be that much more "fun" than another.

It's good you're having fun - not everyone can say that these days.

Chest hairs and car alarms.... hmmmm - you're a little more easy to please than I am. ;)

Just having a little fun with ya....

Nice vis-recce there ace. It's mo-definitely an MD-11 (I know they're small but the winglets are there). You sure those eyes are going to make it another 10 years?

I stand corrected (actually I sit corrected behind the computer). As far as the eyes go, they are still 20/20 uncorrected. The picture is small and I posted late night, about the time you are getting out of bed to go to work.

You're only as much of a slave to the magic & automation as you let yourself become. The MD-11 is just as fun to fly with the magic off as the "Super" :rolleyes: 80. I like having the option to do both, personally.

"Little yellow buttom you're all mine, you're just another DC-9." Trust me, I am not an automation-slave. I look forward to a modern jet maybe in the future, but the MD80 looks to be in my future for some time to come. I just really like to fly it. The DC-9 was great, too. Money is nice, but I enjoy what I do most of all.

I've met a bunch of guys like you at UAL and FX. They cling to the oldest, crappiest aircraft in the fleet like some kind of cult. "By gawd, I'm going to retire off the 727. I ain't gonna fly no glass cockpit, automated, new-fangled jet!" They claim some kind of luv for some antiquated POS because it has round dials or flys with pulleys, rods or wing-warping - whatever. What is usually boils down to is a fear of training, lack of confidence or a personal Q of life agenda that keeps them in their seat. To each his own. The only aircraft I ever came close to feeling so strongly about had a gun & missiles, flew like a dream and was undefeated in air combat. Airliners or freighters are just something to fly from A to B for a lot of $jack$.

To me, an IRS, magenta line and glass cockpit equate to mo' $$ and that's what I like. I'll be a "box-boy" laughing all the way to the bank. :D

Boxes are fine. I have done that twice out of YIP. Rock on my purple brother!

Cheers.

PS: And thanks for the nice airline discount on shipping!:):):

Still out of MCO...

Classic!! Hey Jeff, how are you doing? Hope we can catch up one of these times. Fly Safe.....

AAflyer

....we'll hoist a few next time.

regards, 73

I've had enough of round dials for my life. 3000 hrs in a 707 fulfills all requirements for that.

The S-80, which the compAAny so thoughtfully displaced me into is not a bad plane to fly. dang ugly cockpit, especially when its painted in its asylum green paint scheme, but its quiet and at least all of them now have the magenta line installed.

But I can't wait until my reinstatement back to the 757/767 occurs.

Last edited:
PS: And thanks for the nice airline discount on shipping!:):):

You're welcome. I ride/jumpseat on AA quite a bit - hope to see you back in their jets soon (assuming that's your plan).

BTW - I wasn't inferring YOU were a slave to automation. That seems to be a common attitude about guys in glass aircraft. You and aa73 have given me the impression you feel glass/modern aircraft might be less like flying than what you do now.(you know, type - type, VNAV, etc, etc). I was just making the point that folks in new fangled jets only encounter that to the extent THEY allow it to happen.

Cheers.

I like automation.....

You're welcome. I ride/jumpseat on AA quite a bit - hope to see you back in their jets soon (assuming that's your plan).

BTW - I wasn't inferring YOU were a slave to automation. That seems to be a common attitude about guys in glass aircraft. You and aa73 have given me the impression you feel glass/modern aircraft might be less like flying than what you do now.(you know, type - type, VNAV, etc, etc). I was just making the point that folks in new fangled jets only encounter that to the extent THEY allow it to happen.

Cheers.

.....but it's good to use the VORs and hand fly as well. I have flown with a lot of pilots that don't open a chart, dial in the VORs or set the ADF to the OM/NDB frequency. They totally depend on the FMS.

I still have yet to meet an airplane I don't like.

Behave yourself in Subic Bay!:)

Jeff

Latest resources

Back