A380 first flight 4/27!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whale Rider said:
I sure hope they worked out the A380's "Wing Flexing" problems, according to the computer simulations, they were dragging an inboard engine in light crosswind landings.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll probably drag a wingtip during the maiden flight. :rolleyes:

I'm bracing now for the cute acronym for the A380. You know, along the lines of "Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Roadside Dead." :)

ceo_of_the_sofa said:
Is it a two person crew airplane?

For the short legs (8 hrs or less), yes. It'll be interesting to see how we work out the manning for the >16 hr legs. I hear JetBlue is working on an exemption that will allow for 4 pilots working 8 hrs on, 8 hrs off indefinitely so they can circle the globe twice without stopping. :)

(o) (o) said:
After looking at some head-on shots of the A380, I must say that probably the biggest airbus supporters will have to agree that it will be one of the ugliest thing in the skies.

Face it man, nothing compares to the gracefulness of the 747.

We'll see if it flies.
Listen, I like the 747. I might even be considered a fan of the 747. Don't confuse my support of the A380 with a disrespect for the 747 and what it has meant for our industry.

But have you looked at the wing of the A340? It's the sexiest wing that's flying. (Can I say that about an airplane?) Look at if from behind. The curves at the wing root, the curves near the wingtips... that wing looks like it's made to fly. Sorry, but the straight, boxy wing on the 747 just doesn't match the appearance, the beauty of the A340 wing. It looks like a bird. (I believe there are other Airbus products with similar wings, but I can't cite them now.) The A380 has the same graceful, sexy looking wing that demands to be flown.

I admit, the view from the front will take some getting used to, but so did the whale.

As for seeing if it flies, I think we'll have that answer in very short order. :)

rush28f said:
how gay
I happen to think Mazda makes the best 2-seater convertible.

:)

Was that a lame attempt to quote, or do you agree with me?

No, wait, I see the juvenile insult there. Never mind. Shucks, I was hoping for something more original. Oh, well. :)

Y'all are just jealous 'cuz I got a password to watch, huh? :)

TonyC said:
But have you looked at the wing of the A340? It's the sexiest wing that's flying. Look at if from behind. The curves at the wing root, the curves near the wingtips... It looks like a bird. The A380 sexy looking wing that demands to be flown.

dude, you're startin to scare me now.

A340 looks great, but man, the 747-400 is the sexiest thing out there, I think. That said, the big 'Bus is an awesome machine and not even the 747 can compare. Well, actually, I suppose a comparison could be forced. Hmmm 33% greater payload on the A380 and about 20% greater range. Sure the Boeing looks sexier, but there's your comparison.

Hey Tony, cough up the password!

Well, if we are talking about sexy wings, you should take a look at the one for the 787 Dreamliner. If it turns out to be just the way Boeing represents it in their drawings, that plane will be one of the prettiest birds in the sky!

PS: I still want to see that double-decker whale fly for the first time LIVE . . . so come on Tony . . . share that login and password will ya.

Read that the meiden flight is supposed to happen between 10:00am and 11:00am French time, that is 4:00am and 5:00am eastern time!

I'saw the loging page on the airbus website for the webcast but didn't see how to register.. :(

Buck

Login and Password

Well folks, I'd like to share, but...

As I said, I signed up for the newsletter several months ago. I got the Logon and Password in an e-mail, and it's a ONE-shot deal. I tried logging on with two computers here, and it says no dice. Only one computer at a time. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm looking at a live feed from Toulouse. A helicopter is circling the mammoth and shooting live video. The test pilots are gazing out the windows of the building it's nosed up to. It's a beautiful day in Toulouse, sun's shining.

I didn't realize until reading the posts here that the flight is an hour and a half away. This is gonna be a long, exciting morning. :)

Latest resources

Back