A tough choice... ASA or Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
easy decision

Go to Eagle and LIVE AT HOME FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS THAT ARE HOLY. In a year when nothing has changed at Eagle get on with CHQ. This will put you at a 2.5 year upgrade from now. And you will never have to commute.

I left (5 mos at) ASA for Eagle last fall. Eagle is a better company IMO, but I did it strictly for the ability to be based in DFW. Upgrade is not really a huge concern for me (though $$ is very tight) as my time has come and gone to accrue the magical 1000 (long story, but suffice it to say that my timing sucks and my decisions have not played out as planned/hoped - despite 13 years as an airline pilot I have not yet accrued 1000 turbine PIC).

It depends on your priorities: if you want PIC time and expect to go somewhere else eventually then I'd say ASA - because Eagle is done with new airplanes and even if all the flowbacks (450ish) return quickly it would take a couple of years and you'd still be 1000 pilots from upgrade.

If you want QOL and no commute then go to Eagle and get comfortable in the right seat.

Good luck

Qol

As a disclaimer, I've been at Eagle for a year and am ORD based. I have to disagree that Eagle will automatically give you the better quality of life. Buddies of mine went to CoEx and ASA on the same day I started with Eagle and they both hold hard lines with weekends off. I got the last hard line awarded this month...lots of sit time. Guys a couple numbers below me are on their 12th month on reserve. That said, what happend over the past year may not happen over the upcoming one.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job (to a degree) and really like the fact that I don't commute. Chicago is a great town but is moving out of the question? If living in ORD outweighs all other considerations then avoid ASA. Commuting sucks, I did it for a couple months and the stress commuting adds is not worth it.

Best of Luck.

QOL may not be the same for one person as it is for another. I live in chicago and If I could be based in ORD instead of commuting I would love it! I would bid reserve and ask to be the last called out if I could... stay home with my boy... it would be great.

Sit at home... on reserve... as an Eagle FO... hahahahaha.

Burt Reynolds said:
OK, what about this? CRJ or EMJ?

They both have two wings, two motors and pay about the same. (which isn't the best) A flying job is a flying job.

Latest resources

Back