A tough choice... ASA or Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Burt Reynolds said:

I don't know much about Eagle, but as far as ASA is concerned here are a few points. We started service to Midway, so you'd have that as an option for commuting (which means you get priority on the js) as well as the regular Delta, United stuff out of O'Hare. If you don't get Chicago right off the bat with Eagle then all things are equal on that front. I don't think a commute to ATL from Chicago would be too terrible.

I think pay is pretty close between the two. ASA pays from day one. Folks are getting off reserve within a month or two. People are leaving so you'd move up to a commutable line quickly.

The people, equipment etc are good. Yeah we all b!tch about managment, and they do seem to be putting it to us nicely, but that's part of the deal. There are a vocal few here who think we've got it so bad. Having seen things at other 'lower quality' carriers, I tend to disagree.

The main beef I have with this managment group is that they give us little cards with our vision on it, and tell us we're a happy team, yet treat us like we're the problem. With a little give on their iron fisted tactics (see this thread for definition on fist(http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=58077&highlight=fist) they could turn 1700 pilots into a highly motivated workforce that would go to extremes to save cash on fuel etc, but they don't. They have figured out somehow that we save more money by treating everyone like crap.

As for the local help, ie rampers etc, what do you expect, this is Atlanta, the talent pool isn't so...talented.

All other things aside, it's a good airline, and Delta benefits are better than most (if they last). As far as the advice on trying to pick the stronger of American and Delta, it's a crap shoot. Good luck...

I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned....but...

Go to Eagle. Successfully complete training. Update your resume and send it to SkyWest. THEN you'll get hired where you want to be. Trust me, Eagle is a ripe training ground for SkyWest.

How can you be on reserve for a month when ASA is calling people on their off days and canceling flights? Please explain this.

hotwings402 said:
How can you be on reserve for a month when ASA is calling people on their off days and canceling flights? Please explain this.

Calling people on their days off for low coverage doesn't have anything to do with the number of people on reserve. As the planes keep coming in (new ones) the number of lines increase. If the number of pilots stays the same, which it has nearly done (departing pilots vs new hires), the fewer the number of people at the bottom end. If there are 400 lines for FOs and there are 470 FOs, the bottom 70 are on reserve. If the number of lines increase to 500 but still only 470 FOs, all 470 FOs get lines and there are no reserves...hey wait a minute, this isn't hypothetical, this is really happening!

I really have no opinion to add about where you should go, but just keep in mind that if you don't get ORD out of training at Eagle you will have to do a hub-to-hub commute. At any carrier that would not be fun.

The good thing about commuting to Atlanta is that you have a lot of options. Both airports have non-stop service to ATL from about 4 different airlines. There's also a handful of airports within a couple hours' drive in a pinch, too.

I am in the same situation and trying to figure it out...I have a 1 hour commute to ATL and 2 hour commute to DFW...leaving QOL aside as that is so individual for me it boils down to the following:

1. If the status quo for both prevails, ASA is a better place

2. ASA get's screwed by some sale or shakeup as a result of Delta's probelems...eagle

3. if AA starts hiring the back the flowbacks, Eagle looks better to me

4. if ASA gets a contract in place and Delta hangs on to them, ASA is the choice...

now if someone would just give me a crystal ball I would be all set with my decision....2 weeks to decide!

You don't want to commute to reserve at ASA, you don't want to commute period. Ask any commuter.

Then again, you don't want to sit in the right seat of an ERJ until you're 60 either, even if it is in ORD.

tough call.... i would go with ASA and hope for a quicker upgrade.

so what do all of you experts think is more likely to happen:

1. American call back it's flowbacks and Eagle upgrades drop below a decade?

or

2. ASA life changes drastically from a sale or a horrilble contract rammed by Delta, Skyw or xxxx company?

Latest resources

Back