Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unreal

jetblue320 said:
Well, we aren't exactly asking for FAR's to be modified. That would mean that this would apply to all Part 121 carriers. What we are seeking is an exemption for our west coast flights only. If it is approved, it would be for JB only. If others follow, well then that is their choice. It will not be a change of the regulations for all airlines.

What you guys fail to realize is that eventually ALL airline mangements will try and exploit this to their advantage. If you guys are truly supporting this, I guess it is true there is a thing called Blue Kool Aid.

Thanks a lot guys. Enjoy the wrath of your peers over this.

Exemption my ass.

Last edited:
Idiotic

As soon as JB gets this approved, every other airline will be lining up to get their "modification" to the rule. This is really bad. Just another example of how LCCs are changing pilot jobs into those commensurate of a Grey Hound Bus Driver. I'm not big on unions, but in this industry it is required, kinda like car insurance, I hate paying for it, but I know I need it. This is one of those cases where you guys need a collective voice to say "Hell NO". The answer is not to say "well it's better than turning to the redeye". Get work rules so the company doesn't suck the life out of you for the sake of the shareholders(even if you are one).

Fire away!

USNFDX,

It was not forced on the pilots, nor will it be. As a matter of fact, I think these trips will go quite senior, just like the SJU turns.
From a alertness standpoint, it is better than flying freight at night on the backside of the clock. I know, I did it for years, although the F/E's seemed to be well rested:)

The workrules at jetBlue are quite nice and better than most majors, but thanks for being concerned.

Dizel-la

You better reload the KNS and think about what you'll be doing to those that will come after you.

What will life be like at the regionals, not to mention safety-
when all the low life management scumbags adopt this
idiotic policy --

I'll say it one more time-------

We don't live in a vacuum.

and just for the record......

Jetblue guys DO clean their own airplanes.....

BAHHH HHAAAAAA HHAAAAAAA HHHAAAAAAA

not that I've NEVER done
that to help the FA's on a
quick turn--but pilots NOT
cleaning is frowned upon--

Last edited:
Modifying the 8 in 24 in such a manner will lead to the eventual elimination of the rule. This is a pandora's box that I don't think we really want to open.

Just think JB starts doing these 1 day transcon turns, with the proviso that it is "daylight only"--so what if you are delayed in LGB and winds aloft are stronger than forecast, and somewhere over Illinois--oh oh the sun sets! Are you going to emergency descend to land at the nearest suitable? Of course not, and don't think the company and FAA won't notice---pretty soon, this isn't just a "daylight only" exemption.

And don't think it would always be limited to 2 legs--after all, the FAA will say that flying 2 legs for 10-12 hours is more fatiguing than flying 1 leg for 10-12 hours--there goes your augmented flight across the Atlantic- and even Pacific flights may be affected. Then some yahoo company or pilot group will say "what would be wrong with flying 3 legs for 10-12 hours as long as you have, say, a scheduled (not necessarily actual--must maintain schedule integrity, after all)2 hour break sometime during the day." Alas, the multi-leg 12 hour day is born.

Oh yeah, "this is only for JetBlue, the other carriers don't have to do it"---sorry once JB does it, all the other carriers are going to do it-"competitive pressures", et. al.

Sorry, please don't fix something that isn't broke--there are silly FAR's that should be changed--flight time limits are not one of them.

Flying plow,

You are missing something, it would not apply to any other carriers, nor would it apply to anything other than daylight transcons. You don't want it, tell your MEC just that, no way, no how.

FlyingFarmer

You talk big but I bet you don't have the balls to post your name, airline, and JB application number.....

If you don't like what we do or don't do, go work somewhere else. If you think that WE, the little "start up" carrier are "changing the industry", then thank you for the compliment.

Thanks also for the unique names you chose for me/us. I enjoyed the laugh.... Sorry, gotta go clean an airplane now.

Guys,

This is something that has been done overseas for quite sometime. I just wish that the FAA could learn something from the CAA. Over there its not a matter of how much flight time you have in one day its all about DUTY time. That is the most important thing IMO. Its a pretty good system over there......

If you start your duty day at 6 am then you are limited to 10 hours and 45 minutes of duty time......

If you start your duty day at 9 am then it goes to like 13 hours and 45 minutes of duty time......

My duty times might be off by a few minutes because its been a while....but you get the jest of it.

Its actually a pretty good system and its a lot shorter then duty rigs we have over here. I did this kind of flying out of the UK for 3 years and it worked very nicely, however I just don't see airline management wanting this. I could see management getting way out of hand with this one....... and I mean all AIRLINE MANAGEMENT not just a select few. Lets hope this doesn't blow up in everyones faces cause I can just see the walls crumbling down on all four sides.

Latest resources

Back