A question for an AirTran Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WOWIdidntKnow

I don't mean any disrespect, but I noticed this posted on another thread. It was posted by an AirTran Captain.

I'm pretty typical . . . . . 29% on our list, would be at 61%, placed next to guys hired almost 4 years later than me.
I'm pretty typical . . . . . 29% on our list, would be at 61%, placed next to guys hired almost 4 years later than me.
I’m having difficulty understanding why you would not be thrilled with this.

1. You would have had a Captain Retention Slot for 10 years.
2. You would probably lose relative seniority as a Capt in ATL as the base downsized
3. However, your seniority of 61% would have you at about 22% FO seniority on the Master Seniority list. At 22% FO seniority on the MSIL you would have the following:

a. Greater Career Expectations than you had on 26 September 2011
b. Regarding your Quality of life, you would go from 29% to 22% in a better system.
c. Significantly higher Career Earnings (more than $1,000,000)
d. The ability to make long range financial plans working for the most stable and secure Major Airline in the Industry.
e. The ability to move to any of 9 domiciles and have a superior Quality of Life.
f. If you want to make cash – as a 22% FO, you could make 300k, if you wanted to work hard.
g. If you wanted more days off to spend with your family, as a 22% FO, you could easily drop your line, work 7-8 days at Premium Pay and still make more than you currently do as an AAI Captain.

The only downside is that you would move from the left seat to the right seat. Help me understand why this movement from left to right makes all of the above realities “Not Worth the Deal”.

Maybe they don't want to "sell out" the FOs that they currently fly with? Neither did ALPA, when the voted 7-1 against. Bravo!

OYS

Would you go from 29% on FO list to 22% on FA list with same pay and greater flexibility?

really?

capt to FO is like FO to Fa to you guys??

That's been one of the psychological problems with this whole thing. Seems the AT culture is very much captain oriented. FO's treated like 2nd class pilots there? You certainly paid them like 2nd class citizens....

newsflash: it's not like that at SWA- you'll get paid like an AT captain- and have a lot of fun in that right seat. Captain has their role - as do FO's - but it's a team.

I can understand oy6 suggesting that the deal may be in fact acceptable to an AirTran Captain, but not acceptable to an AirTran FO, but I stil have not heard from any AirTran Captain.

No takers?

Your offer to go from 29% of OVERALL, COMPANYWIDE seniority, to 22% of FOs, or 22% of half of companywide seniority is not acceptable to this captain at 28%…Ask captains at you 28% if they would like to go to 60% if supersenior group like USAir East was merged with you.

Fly by-

If AT had bought Virgin America outright- and their pilots made that same argument, what would you think?

Fly by-

If AT had bought Virgin America outright- and their pilots made that same argument, what would you think?

We'd go to Arbitration, implement the list and integrate operations. If my union used spite and punitive actions to punish the other groups pilots I'd be disgusted.

The argument that 'you'd do what we'd do if you were us', does not hold water. It's an excuse for bad behavior in most cases.

Yes, I really do believe this and no I'm not just saying this.

:)

Ok- then what do you do with the fact that the man who writes the checks wants an agreed upon solution? GK wants us to vote in and take ownership of the integration and not have it forced on us all-
If it's arby or nothing for you guys how do you ever take ownership for your situation?
Saying you will is shallow.
SWA mgmt is brilliant at understanding people- you must have skin in the game to OWN IT.

Latest resources

Back