• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Pinnacle captain with some balls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't work for your airline so I don't know the extent of your problems. But I have been in similar situations. I do the best I can do to help things work. Just sitting there and taking a delay because "that's the only way the company is ever going to do anything about it" is wrong. Write an IOR (Irregular Operations Report), call your chief pilot, call your Vice President of Flight Operations, call your Chief Operating Officer. Contact the people that are able to make changes and make them. Don't just sit there taking a delay and not doing anything about it. Find out who can effect change and start working at it. Often people higher up the chain don't know that there are problems. You have to let them know. Sometimes nothing changes but I try to do whatever I can to make things run smoothly and efficiently for the passengers I'm flying. You are a professional. If your company isn't acting that way then at least you can.

I have some dumb questions.... what did airlines do before pilots had cell phones? What happens if the pilots don't happen to have cell phones or are out of signal range?

Here's another dumb question.... why did this airplane not go back to the gate and get whatever was needed instead of sitting somewhere on the airport?

There's something missing in this story somewhere. Does this CA really have big balls or is it a small brain?

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone should have to use their personal cell phone for company business. In this particular situation though when the crew knew that someone wanted to talk to them via telephone they SHOULD HAVE RETURNED TO THE GATE and made that phone call. Holding your passengers hostage for your own personal little vendetta is EXTREMELY unprofessional.

The crew spent about an hour talking to dispatch and CLC VIA ACARS after blocking out about a weight and balance issue. I agree that pilots shouldn't have to use their cell phones for company business. My opinion is this entire event could've been solved in about five minutes if the crew had gone back to the gate and called dispatch or CLC when the problem was noted.

Last edited:
dhc8fo said:
Yes.... I agree with TARP and I like the analogy.

If I worked for a company who actually gave a crap about my well-being on ANY level, I would bend over backwards to help it succeed and we would all be happy.

Right now, the love of flying is the only sustaining quality most airlines provide to the pilots.

If making some pax 15 minutes late here and there makes a point and improves the QOL, you bet your ass I would do the same thing. Management doesn't listen to the pilots, so maybe it would listen to some complaining customers????!!

Nothing unsafe or wrong about what that CA did. In fact, it was perfectly safe and by the book. Nowhere in anyone's OP Spec does it say that you have to use your own personal cell phone to call dispatch.

Thank you. Exactly to the point.

SkywestCJRpilot, that kind of mentality just doesn't work at Pinnacle. Upper management knows the problems, because we've been telling them for years. They simply don't care. Why should they when the pilots will bend over backwards to get a flight out on time? The Pinnacle management theory is simple: do as little as possible and spend as little money as possible and treat your employees as poorly as possible without losing the air service agreement with NWA. It really is that simple with these guys. Safety comes second. Treating people right comes a distant third. One of our executives was renowned for musing "Why are we hiring so many pilots when we can just junior man and extend the pilots we already have? If we can take them down to 7 days off, then let's go for it!" As I said before, working with the company is not an option.

405 said:
The crew spent about an hour talking to dispatch and CLC VIA ACARS after blocking out about a weight and balance issue. I agree that pilots shouldn't have to use their cell phones for company business. My opinion is this entire event could've been solved in about five minutes if the crew had gone back to the gate and called dispatch or CLC when the problem was noted.

And there it is. When an airline can not staff properly and run their operation as it states in the approved manuals that they are always shaking at you and daring you to disobey while in recurrent, don't be ticked when I taxi my little plane back to the gate and shut em down. If the airline wants to look like fools for their operation, that's their problem. Me, I go back to the gate and let the "professionals" handle their own mess (this is an aside about XJ Saab ops in MEM). And no, my own personal property is not for use by my employer...for free. I'm here to make money, not friends.

It's Not About the Money!

You guys are bickering over money when you’re missing the real issue with this event, safety!

The fact that they failed to communicate with their dispatcher is a grave safety and legal issue. If the dispatcher is not answering ACARS messages because they are too busy, then there are not enough dispatchers, and the airline should not be operating 121 revenue flights.

Now is doesn’t sound like they tried Delta/Atlanta Radio, though I don’t know if it’s within the scope of 9E operations, but this is a great way to stick it to the man. Delta radio is not cheap! Every time you use it, it cost an airline like 9E hundreds of dollars. If the dispatcher doesn’t answer an Atlanta Radio call, then I would disclose these shortcomings to your POI. If your POI doesn’t address the problem (because it doesn’t seem like he’s been doing his job at all, given recent events) then go to the regional or national level. As a Captain or FO, you have a responsibility to do this!

Yes, I’ve used my cell phone in certain circumstances to complete the mission, but I know and the respect the company I work for, and it was the easiest and quickest way to get things done.

Don't use them.

I agree, don't use them. If they want us to , then pay us. I am so tired of being taken advantage of and given no respect.

Agreed - These crap airlines take from their employees every way that they can. Days off, pay ( playing with block times ), sleep, any opportunity to eat a meal & you end up putting your certificate at risk just to get some damn flights over with so you can get back home for your measly 9 hours reduced rest.

If someone wants to draw the line at their cell phone - more power to them.

Latest resources

Back