A not so good FedEx rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VaB

Flying with a training type guy the other day and we were talking about the EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) implementation. So we're going on about this thing, and this is after my latest Jepps revision where we've added more domestic airports that the 11 never goes to, along with the other 30 pounds of charts, but I digress. This guy says "and oh yeah, the F/O's are going to have to continue carrying the paper Jepps for at least a year after the EFB get's here". WHAAAA???

Makes sense I guess. But it chapped me in an irrational way. It was like all the Captains knew it, but it was a secret. Darn Captains, sounds like a conspiracy. Hopefully it's just another chain jerking that I fell for.

VaB,

It is infact true that we will have to carry paper copy for one year after the electronic flight bag. First time though that I heard that just use F/O's will have to carry them and not Captains.
I had 7 domestic changes to do the other day, had not flown down to the lower 48 in a long time.

FedEx Fellas,

We are looking to your pilot group and UPS during your negotiations to get a contract that the pax pilots can use when/if this industry turns around to get back what we lost or gave up....

However, with the paycuts, furloughes and uncertianty I am not sure you are going to get much sympathy for having to do Jepp revisions or EFBs.....

Advisory 120-76A mandates EFB implementation of EFB's. I just went through this with my FSDO. Carrying the Jepps for a year has nothing to do with Fedex, it's a FAA requirement. Fedex would love nothing more then to eliminate the paper. It costs even more money to carry paper subscriptions on top of jepp flt deck subscriptions.

http://www.paperlesscockpit.com/files/pdf/ACFD29F.pdf

I thought the company was going to have the full Jepp version on each of the planes. Kind of like they do with the MD-11s (except not just the international Jepps).

Rez O. Lewshun said:
FedEx Fellas,

We are looking to your pilot group and UPS during your negotiations to get a contract that the pax pilots can use when/if this industry turns around to get back what we lost or gave up....

However, with the paycuts, furloughes and uncertianty I am not sure you are going to get much sympathy for having to do Jepp revisions or EFBs.....

Wasn't looking for sympathy, bro. Just saying it sucked.

I thought the company was going to have the full Jepp version on each of the planes. Kind of like they do with the MD-11s (except not just the international Jepps).

That would certainly be a sensible way to do it. However, I'm sure they would run into problems. Just like the QRHs in the training building. They had to chain those to the wall. Who wants to steal a QRH. Sickos.

VaB said:
Flying with a training type guy the other day and we were talking about the EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) implementation. So we're going on about this thing, and this is after my latest Jepps revision where we've added more domestic airports that the 11 never goes to, along with the other 30 pounds of charts, but I digress. This guy says "and oh yeah, the F/O's are going to have to continue carrying the paper Jepps for at least a year after the EFB get's here". WHAAAA???

Makes sense I guess. But it chapped me in an irrational way. It was like all the Captains knew it, but it was a secret. Darn Captains, sounds like a conspiracy. Hopefully it's just another chain jerking that I fell for.

You gotta be kidding me. It's pretty bad when we have to find stuff to complain about. There's guys out there that would kill to carry some Jepps around in the right seat of an MD-11. I got plenty of buddies on furlough with families to support that will gladly carry them.

We've got Jeppview/Planeview charts that come up on the Nav displays. We still print out paper charts for every trip. AND, we have a tablet laptop on all the planes with the Jeppview installed.

Sorry, I still don't trust electrons... ;)TC

P.S.--G4G5 I'll look you up tomorrow in the "schoolhouse".

"Carrying the Jepps for a year has nothing to do with Fedex, it's a FAA requirement."

Well so much for WN ever going with the EFB...

FedExFlyer said:
You gotta be kidding me. It's pretty bad when we have to find stuff to complain about. There's guys out there that would kill to carry some Jepps around in the right seat of an MD-11. I got plenty of buddies on furlough with families to support that will gladly carry them.

I believe you missed the spirit in which this post was created. That's OK.

I know lot's of guys furloughed also, that wasn't the point. It wasn't actually even a complaint, I was just surprised that I hadn't heard that before, and I wondered if anyone else had heard that. Sorry about your offended sensibilities.

Latest resources

Back