• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

a MAJOR announcement @ SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest is dangling a carrot for their pilots. They want them to take a paycut now in exchange for MAYBE flying 90 or 100 seaters in the future. It won't happen, they have no intention of branching out on their own, unless UA shuts down or they loose the DL codeshare. The risks are too many for this conservative group.

Actually what management wants to do is fly a 70 seat for 50 seat pay, or a 90 seat at who knows what pay.

Risk is a two-sided coin.

If they do nothing SkyWest’s growth ends Dec. ’03.

SkyWest has 37 jets coming on line though 2003. However, some of these 37 jets can be cancelled and might depending on UAL (most are for UAL).

After 2003 SkyWest has conditional orders for 29 RJ’s that are slated to fly for no one. SkyWest’s code share partners have not said they want those additional aircraft. Without a new code share partner that wants more jets or other expansion opportunities SkyWest’s growth will be static at best.

No growth plus smaller margins equals a pathetic stock price that does not make the board of directors happy.

SkyWest said that they are looking at two different acquisition opportunities right now.

Essentially I think, SkyWest can do nothing and suffer or they can branch out and suffer. However, the rewards may be greater with one or the other. Which one? I have no idea.

Splert

Last edited:
Splert said:
Risk is a two-sided coin.
<snip>
No growth plus smaller margins equals a pathetic stock price that does not make the board of directors happy.

SkyWest said that they are looking at two different acquisition opportunities right now.

Essentially I think, SkyWest can do nothing and suffer or they can branch out and suffer. <snip>

Splert

Business critical mass. Too big to remain the same, not quite big enough to expand without gambling.

Think of it in terms of being trans-sonic slowly accelerating through and past mach one. There's a period where stability is shakey.

SKYW's financials are in good enough shape that the possibility to accelerate through the region of instability quickly and come out a winner is likely. All depends on the choice made.

Okay...

Thanks for the valuable insight.

Really neat stuff you are contributing.

Thanks again,

Splert

Okay...

Thanks for the valuable insight.

Really neat stuff you are contributing.

Thanks again,

Splert

Have you looked at some of the replies on this thread?? I mean, come on!! It appears some of these guys are on mind altering substances!!!

Specifics are always better received and more helpful than general insults.

Splert

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back