A loyal Platinum Delta business pass speaks up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scarecrow,

interesting discussion? OK.......the original poster was displeased with DL, product, service, etc, and I simply was pointing out that there was a very very simple solution to this problem, do not fly DL. This is not brain surgery, what positive will come from this? As a former DL employee myself I can tell you that no matter what kind of product that you have you still will never please everyone. The bottom line is that DL has very loyal pax who have been around for years, enjoy the service, etc, and that ain't going to change due to a few that are not pleased.

Comparing DL to Jetblue is like comparing a Mercedes 500SL to a Cavalier, big difference in service, product, pay, etc. I merely pointed out that if he was so pleased with JB then that would be the route that he should take...

350- Great analogy. What I am trying to point out is that Delta is now GM, and JB is Toyota 10-15 years ago. No one thought that the threat would evolve and last....

DL pilots set the bar back in 2000 with regards to pilot pay and even with the cuts they will end up taking they will still be the highest paid in the industry, sorry if that p!sses some off....

3 5 0[/QUOTE]

Standman,

It is not that I don't like RJ's. I travel a decent amount for work - 10 roundtrips a month from Chicago. The RJ is fine for trips no more than 1 1/2 hours. After that, forget about it. I am 6'4, 200lbs. I could care less about the food, movies, music, all that garbage. What I care about is the ability to be somewhat comfortable and to be able to work on my laptop while flying. I cannot do that on an RJ. And sitting with my knees practically touching my forehead for more than an hour gets uncomfortable as well. So I guess my problem with the RJ is that they are used on routes that they should not be...keep them on routes of an hour or less in my opinion.

tlax25 said:
Standman,

It is not that I don't like RJ's. I travel a decent amount for work - 10 roundtrips a month from Chicago. The RJ is fine for trips no more than 1 1/2 hours. After that, forget about it. I am 6'4, 200lbs. I could care less about the food, movies, music, all that garbage. What I care about is the ability to be somewhat comfortable and to be able to work on my laptop while flying. I cannot do that on an RJ. And sitting with my knees practically touching my forehead for more than an hour gets uncomfortable as well. So I guess my problem with the RJ is that they are used on routes that they should not be...keep them on routes of an hour or less in my opinion.

Agreed- I am about the same size (6-3 215).

a couple of other reasons though (most my fault).

1 I hit my head someplace (getting in, overheads, bin's hanging down, exit signs.) on every flight.

2 I don't know the seat dynamics. All I know is that shoulder room, especially in a window seat, is terrible.

3 Having to drag luggage up and down steps, and go in and out of weather, to get on the plane.

4 I have to wait for luggage sometimes out in the rain (dif size limits w/carry ons)

5 Last but not least, twice on late flights back into ATL from Syracuse, ATL was so jammed we had to wait almost 2 hours AFTER we landed to get a gate, so I was on the plane for 5+ hours (ground hold). This sucks.

Lrjtcaptain,

You took the words right out of my mouth.... You will never see the DL faithful jump ship to SWA. Southwest has always catered to that "specific" class of passengers, just take a walk through the the SWA terminal at Hobby on any given friday.:D It was pretty comical way back in the day when I was employed as a DL agent and we got to witness first hand those goin the SWA way, I felt as if I was in Mexico and in a minority.

"Class" can not be bought at a discount fare nor will it be seen by those strapped for money.

Two completely different business platforms and animals here.

3 5 0

Never flown them....My manager out of KC flies them all the time. He is old school (or maybe good school). He feels if he can save the company a penny, he gets part of it back in his profit sharing check.

I remember *sniffle* when Delta flew the coolest plane in the universe. But...*sniffle* they threw them away. The L-1011 was the grandest of all cattle cars. Way back in coach where the vibration was so severe on takeoff you thought about asking for a tool kit to tighten your seat. It was awesome! A real airplane. BenJakes....you should demand that the L-1011 be put back in service. A real airplane for real men.

AA717driver said:
Ben--From my perspective, just about all your problems have been generated by the MBA's in the accounting department of (insert legacy carrier name here).

I am ex-TWA/furloughed AA. I've seen good management(the last several years of TWA's life) and bad management(TWA until it was too late and AA--their corporate culture is only marginally better than the Soviet Union under Stalin).

One thing I find either ironic or sickening is that Don Carty lamented the fact that AA couldn't match the performance of Dallas neighbor, Southwest. Duh! SWA prides itself on how it treats its employees and the rest of the business takes care of itself. AA micromanages every aspect of the company and maintains the policy of "the floggings will continue until morale improves".

Do senior managers make statements like Carty did and really believe them or are they trying to make the employees think they believe them? Either way, now there are two templates on how to successfully run an airline--SWA and JetBlue.

As long as the bean counters run the business, customer service will suffer.TC

P.S.--Now that I am a corporate pilot I will be airlining around a fair amount so I get to "enjoy" the same experience you business travellers have been experiencing...
AA-We have managers like that in my company also, I think most do. It is like the rest of the world. It is funny, he probably has perfect grammer!

MedFlyer said:
There's nothing classy about flying Delta anymore whether it's an RJ or mainline. The service is barebones at best. People don't choose DL because it's classy...they choose DL either because it's convenient or it's cheap. Class left DL about ten years ago.

Here's one article I found about DL's "superior" product...somehow I couldn't find one article about DL's superior service:

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/elliott/155.asp

"According to those of you who contacted me, it's more a combination of poor service and cramped flying conditions that puts Delta over the top. (Coincidentally, Delta recently admitted that its service had slipped and promised to do better; so hopefully this carrier will work its way off this list.)"
I guess I am not alone.....

standaman said:
I still can't figure out why so many people are disliking RJs. What is wrong with them. They help to increase frequency for business travels, no middle seats, and faster deplane times. If you want to get a movie and a meal those typically are only found on long distance flights anyway. What kind of service are you looking for on flights 2 hours or less. I frankly can't tell the difference between flying on an RJ or any mainline plane on these short flights.
I can't get a meal in first class from Nevada to ATL half the time (No kidding!). I'm used to going hungry.

Which is a great point. Are the airlines new "pay meals/snacks" working? I think it is a great enovation. Just curious, as it show as a possible new revenue stream.

Publishers said:
Over the years, the yield management systems developed by the airlines overcame a deteriorating margin as more and more customers were looking for and finding discounted tickets.

It became a science to get both the business customer and the vacationing family all on the same plane paying extremely different prices for the same product.

While the airlines thought it cool, the business people did not as they were paying through the nose for tickets while Joe and his family were annoying them at a deeply discounted ticket/

I have probably over 700,000 miles on Delta and for years and years they and Piedmont were two of my favorite airlines to fly. Southern hospitatlity if you will. Of course, US managed to screw up the Piedmont airline and Delta tried vanely to get everyone to Atlanta.

Anyone who does not think that the product has not gone south is not looking. Since 9/11, I have flown Air Tran, America West, Southwest, Delta, and American. They all left on time, arrived on time, were reasonably full. Other than being able to see the seating chart and getting what I want on Delta's web site, the service was pretty much the same.

We have not discussed it much, but the death of travel agents is indicative of the travel trends as much as anything. They made their money off expensive tickets, and the web made their knowledge obsolete.

The American traveling public made it known before now that they were not happy with the fare, it has just taken the industry longer to accept it because yield management and other efficiencies masked what was happening.
Well said! Two things to add. Legacy's have cut most of their walk up fares by half or two thirds to compete after "yield management" started failing.

#2 It has become an accepted business practice (unless issue is serious) to "video conference". It is no longer an insult to say "Mr Customer, I could be there in the morning, and will be if you want me to, but my ticket at this late date is 1000.00. Is this something we can discuss in a video conference tomorrow, and then finalize next week? A customer views this favorably, because the message you are sending is that of a well run company, while leaving the decision to them. Lower overhead is translated (rightly or wrongly) to a better price.

Latest resources

Back