• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A little story about Midwest and Republic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure, already posted on another thread. 85k give or take a couple of hundred, 4 weeks of vacation on 50 seat pay. (5th year) Average 14-15 days off. Not great but liveable

Now you.......

I don't understand how this is possible. You make $67/hour give or take a few cents. Per diem doesn't count. 85,000/67 = 1269 hours for the year. You can only legally fly 1000 hours per year. Even to get 1000 hours/year (67k), you would have to average 83.33 hours per month. At 5 hours/day average (I'm guessing you don't get much more than that due to being a regional), you're looking at a 13.75 days off per month average. I know you get some vacation pay and there are some other variables, but your numbers seem to be stretching it. Counting per diem is the only way I can see you getting 85k. I've heard of 5th year Republic pilots claiming they make 100k. This is just not possible. Your base salary is $60,300/year. That is all you are guaranteed. The problem with this industry is no one knows how little we make because guys like you are always exaggerating their salaries.

I don't understand how this is possible. You make $67/hour give or take a few cents. Per diem doesn't count. 85,000/67 = 1269 hours for the year. You can only legally fly 1000 hours per year. Even to get 1000 hours/year (67k), you would have to average 83.33 hours per month. At 5 hours/day average (I'm guessing you don't get much more than that due to being a regional), you're looking at a 13.75 days off per month average. I know you get some vacation pay and there are some other variables, but your numbers seem to be stretching it. Counting per diem is the only way I can see you getting 85k. I've heard of 5th year Republic pilots claiming they make 100k. This is just not possible. Your base salary is $60,300/year. That is all you are guaranteed. The problem with this industry is no one knows how little we make because guys like you are always exaggerating their salaries.

Hockeypilot, I don't know about Republic, but at ASA, I have credited over 100 hours with only 80 hours of flying....The regional contracts of old aren't the same as now....

Hockeypilot, I don't know about Republic, but at ASA, I have credited over 100 hours with only 80 hours of flying....The regional contracts of old aren't the same as now....

True. The E175 pay override works to our favor too. I have had a 147 Hour pay credit month. Plus 80 hours of Override pay.
I took 2 months off last summer (2007) and I still made around 69k. My wifes and my taxes showed 93k and some change combined. with that said, it does include Per-deim too. (I think)

True. The E175 pay override works to our favor too. I have had a 147 Hour pay credit month. Plus 80 hours of Override pay.
I took 2 months off last summer (2007) and I still made around 69k. My wifes and my taxes showed 93k and some change combined. with that said, it does include Per-deim too. (I think)

Ohhh 93K. Ohhh. That's BIG money. Glad to see you're cracking the whip on the wife for $24k. Thats not a lot of tricks, must be why you still get laid.

Last edited:
Republic is unsuitable for this profession- sweat shop wages where 500 hour pilots gleefully go to work for $25/ hr to fly a jet. The Republic pilots are a management's dream. You can look at what happened to Midwest and the rest of us in the industry better beware if their business model succeeds because Skywest, Pinnacle or any other regional the majors are filling the coffers with $$$ may be next. I doubt Republic will succeed, this has been tried by Mesa, Indy Air and (thank God) both failed. Hopefully Republic will collapse and the major airline pilots can take this lesson to move for much tighter scope, perhaps even get rid of all feeders entirely because both Indy Air and Republic showed us what these regional "partners" can grow up into. The best thing that could happen for the piloting profession is to have Republic disappear.

Last edited:
Ohhh 93K. Ohhh. That's BIG money. Glad to see you're cracking the whip on the wife for $24k. Thats not a lot of tricks, must be why you still get laid.

Don't hate because you can't get *************************yy. I am sure you are still finding some FA's to blow at your office job!

What is the 175 override pay? Is that the $6 or $7 an hour more you get to fly a 77-99 seat aircraft instead of a 51-76 seat aircraft? How did you have a 147 hour credit month? You have no trip regs, no duty regs, no cancellation pay. I'm just curious how you received 47 hours over what you are legally allowed to fly without work rules. The only thing I can think of is working through a vacation or cashing in PDO's. If you guys are telling the truth, it sounds like things are pretty good over there.

What is the 175 override pay? Is that the $6 or $7 an hour more you get to fly a 77-99 seat aircraft instead of a 51-76 seat aircraft? How did you have a 147 hour credit month? You have no trip regs, no duty regs, no cancellation pay. I'm just curious how you received 47 hours over what you are legally allowed to fly without work rules. The only thing I can think of is working through a vacation or cashing in PDO's. If you guys are telling the truth, it sounds like things are pretty good over there.

Bidding RSV. For Example, If you are on RSV on Monday and they just DH you from PHL-DCA. That equals 4 hours of pay. Even though you did not fly. Any assignment is a min of 4 hours. Weather you work .1 Hrs or 3.9 hours. Anything over your 4 hours of pay will most likely be paid above Guarantee. Also, If you swap a RSV day for a day off because they call and ask you to work, you will be paid 4 hours for your original day Plus you will be paid on your day off as a "DAY OF ASSMNT" which goes above Guarantee.

So in short. If you are on RSV and the company if flying you like crazy (including DH's) you will very easily break 110-120 hours of pay credit.

Bidding RSV. For Example, If you are on RSV on Monday and they just DH you from PHL-DCA. That equals 4 hours of pay. Even though you did not fly. Any assignment is a min of 4 hours. Weather you work .1 Hrs or 3.9 hours. Anything over your 4 hours of pay will most likely be paid above Guarantee. Also, If you swap a RSV day for a day off because they call and ask you to work, you will be paid 4 hours for your original day Plus you will be paid on your day off as a "DAY OF ASSMNT" which goes above Guarantee.

So in short. If you are on RSV and the company if flying you like crazy (including DH's) you will very easily break 110-120 hours of pay credit.

110-120 is not 147. If you're working every single reserve day, you are only getting 11 days off per month. 147/31=4.74 hours. That means you have to average almost 5 hours per day if you work every single day of the month. 147/20=7.35 hours/day. I don't understand how a few 4 hour days with very little flying will get you over 120 hours/month. That 4 hour minimum guarantee for reserve is nothing to be proud of. Your numbers are exaggerated. They just don't add up.

110-120 is not 147. If you're working every single reserve day, you are only getting 11 days off per month. 147/31=4.74 hours. That means you have to average almost 5 hours per day if you work every single day of the month. 147/20=7.35 hours/day. I don't understand how a few 4 hour days with very little flying will get you over 120 hours/month. That 4 hour minimum guarantee for reserve is nothing to be proud of. Your numbers are exaggerated. They just don't add up.

You not including D.O.A pay. Again. In one day I can make 12 Hours of CREDIT pay. Also, There is no Junior manning, so you can work out deals with scheduling to make more money. For Example, they called and begged me last year to do a CLT-CHS flight one night because the Org. capt called off. We have no base in CLT but I live in CLT. I ended up getting 12 hours of pay for the 1 hour flight.

Like I said, 147 was the most I ever had and that was when I was a 2nd year FO.
As a Capt.. Maybe around 122 or so.

Latest resources

Back