• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A good First Officer would...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd also like to add, "stow them slowly and easily". There's no need to take a fist full of spoilers and stow all of them in .5 seconds or less, sending the airplane pitching all over the sky as it tries to recover from your sloppy airmanship. Try to give the passengers the impression that you actually are trying to give them a nice ride.

I wish we had that option on the 145. ********************in' thing goes from 0 to 11.

A good FO should bring some experience to the cockpit with him/her. Offer suggestions to the CA without overstepping your bounds (don't try to be a right seat captain!) If the captain does something, or makes a decision you don't like, bring it to his/her attention, again, without overstepping your bounds. You are there to back up the CA, and vice versa. A good FO (and CA) is ALWAYS learning from the guy or gal in the other seat.

Bring experience to the cockpit? Comair F/Os bring what 250 hours to the cockpit! F/Os besure to overstep your bounds when the Comair Captains taxi your airplane onto that 1000 foot runway!

Bring experience to the cockpit? Comair F/Os bring what 250 hours to the cockpit! F/Os besure to overstep your bounds when the Comair Captains taxi your airplane onto that 1000 foot runway!

Your shtik is getting pretty old.

Please leave.

know your airplane inside and out. more than what's needed to pass a checkride. learn as much as you can about the systems and how they interact with each other. because once you start talking to mx, you'll more than likely run across a new guy and you'll end up needing to explain to him how things work so that you can get the plane fixed or mel'd.

JettBoii;172And6237 said:
..........................dont slam on the brakes on the landing roll.

One of my pet peeves is having to add power to get to the high speed taxiway. You don't always have to melt the brakes and or use the reversers. Also, let me know you are ready to transfer controls before you do it. When you release the brakes suddenly, everyone in back gets the joy of having their head slammed into the back of the seat when the aircraft lurches forward. A few more to add to this thread:

When someone (gate agent, ramp person, maintenance, etc.) comes to the cockpit with a question (board early, fuel load, etc.), they are asking the captain. I have actually had an f/o interrupt his phone call to voice his opinion before I could respond. Not cool.

If you are the flying pilot, fly the airplane please. It's great that you can hand fly with your fingertips and tune my radios for me at the same time. But this is a two pilot aircraft for a reason. Pick a role.

There is no need to work two radios at the same time. Instead of halting your call to ops with the times to answer ATC, why not tell me you are off and let me get ATC. I can stop picking my nose to help you out. This is a real good way to have a misunderstood altitude, heading etc. You can, and should still monitor the other while you are off.

Relax and slow down. It's safer, we get paid more, and my blood pressure stays under the FAA limit. Now I am a major type B personality (maybe even C if there is such a thing) and I'm pretty laid back. When I fly with a type A leg shaker that talks so fast on the radio that ATC doesn't know what hit them, I know I'm in for a long trip filled with hurried checklists, constant button pushing and switch throwing, and races to see who can get it done first. Please don't think I am slamming type A personalities, seems like most pilots are and that drive is how they got the job and it works fine most of the time.

This type of question or statement "so why aren't you in church today?" or "so I guess you are a republican/democrat"/or other label we put on each other is the quickest way to get me to clam up and watch the farm land pass by.

Sorry for the rant, I really am easy to fly with. This stuff just builds up inside after the years pass by and needs to come out every once in a while. :)

Latest resources

Back