• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A good First Officer would...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure that I will get absolutely blasted for this, but as a former FA, what did we do that was so hard to deal with? This is not the first time I have heard this, but it may be the first time I have heard it addressed so professionally.

I kind of approached my job from a "know your stuff (follow the rules, ie: don't call the cockpit below 10,000 feet, do your preflight correctly, treat the pax well, handle stuff before it gets to the cockpit); state your needs; stay out of the way; get drinks and snacks when asked, don't interupt; if there are two fat chicks, take the one the FO does not take."

What things do you do (CAs and FOs) to deal with this issue?

I am sure that I will get absolutely blasted for this, but as a former FA, what did we do that was so hard to deal with? This is not the first time I have heard this, but it may be the first time I have heard it addressed so professionally.

I kind of approached my job from a "know your stuff (follow the rules, ie: don't call the cockpit below 10,000 feet, do your preflight correctly, treat the pax well, handle stuff before it gets to the cockpit); state your needs; stay out of the way; get drinks and snacks when asked, don't interupt; if there are two fat chicks, take the one the FO does not take."

What things do you do (CAs and FOs) to deal with this issue?
If everyone had your good attitude, you wouldn't hear about the problems, but not everyone is as professional as you were. I think some FAs are compensating for other deficiencies in their lives. They immediately sense a brand new captain, and try to tell him/her how things will be done, I guess to make themselves feel important. I remember that source of friction was the only issue I had on my very first day as captain!

AG, why do you think you'd get blasted for saying that? FAs that act the way you describe are a joy to fly with. They are also, at my regional airline at least, a minority. You don't get the cream of the crop to fly for $14/hr. Quite a few attitudes, lots of ignorance of procedures, plenty of drama. Dealing with one like that is hard enough, but on trips when they're *both* that way....

Starting the trip with a detailed, thorough crew briefing does go a long ways.

I have to agree with almost everything said, but with my own stupidity possibly for me to make a few amendments. I ask that the FO wait for all the checklists except for the before takeoff and after landing...they all have their own pace and I don't want to rush them and after landing, I am much more concerned with where I am going and tend to forget to call for it and many FOs are scared to say anything. Also, I do forget, in fact I forget a lot of things. I have no problem if someone brings up my errors. I will feel dumb and hopefully stop forgetting.
Oh, and the actual flying is not hard, but please please please if you want to hand fly when we are 1000 feet to level off don't keep climbing at 3000+ fpm I know how that will end...I see it all the time!

A good FO will learn what a rudder is and its effects on aerodynamics and to use it during crosswind landings..........

read the weather reports, notams and any mel's on the paperwork.

Excellent advice. When I was a regional CA I hardly ever saw the FO really read the release. You don't have to go line by line but there are some basic things that need to be verified every leg. WX, MELs, NOTAMS, fuel loads, tail number, flight number, a/c logbook, etc. If it's their leg most guys will get the bare essentials to load the box, work the W&B and plan the departure but they almost never verify WX at destination, check the fuel to make sure it makes sense, read the NOTAMS or verify the a/c, flight number and crew. If it's not their leg most FOs I flew with hardly glanced at the at the release. I really appreciated those that did.

First of all if you aren't doing these things you are setting yourself and your CA up for failure. Dispatch and CA make mistakes. One more set of eyeballs looking stuff over keeps everybody out of trouble. Second, it will dramatically increase your overall SA. Third, when you do upgrade it will be one less thing you have to practice doing. You will already be able to scan the release and get the big picture. You can then concentrate more on the leadership aspect of being the big kahuna.

Excellent question BTW. The fact you even asked it puts you way ahead of the game. Good luck.

Don't make the your fellow pilot embarrassed to be paired with you:
1) wear the uniform, all of it, and correctly.
2) watch your language around kids.
3) quit walking with your hands in your pockets and your head down!!!!!!!!
4) don't call the CA "captain", that's gay.
5) realize that the FA probably may not want to sleep with you.
6) put the spoilers away after you make speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7) quit saying "with you"...that's gayer than item 4.
8) find a better cuss word than "Jesus"...please.
9) this is the big one....seems to get worse with each generation of pilots...watch "Airplane" and know some of the better lines.

Excellent advice. When I was a regional CA I hardly ever saw the FO really read the release. You don't have to go line by line but there are some basic things that need to be verified every leg. WX, MELs, NOTAMS, fuel loads, tail number, flight number, a/c logbook, etc. If it's their leg most guys will get the bare essentials to load the box, work the W&B and plan the departure but they almost never verify WX at destination, check the fuel to make sure it makes sense, read the NOTAMS or verify the a/c, flight number and crew. If it's not their leg most FOs I flew with hardly glanced at the at the release. I really appreciated those that did.

First of all if you aren't doing these things you are setting yourself and your CA up for failure. Dispatch and CA make mistakes. One more set of eyeballs looking stuff over keeps everybody out of trouble. Second, it will dramatically increase your overall SA. Third, when you do upgrade it will be one less thing you have to practice doing. You will already be able to scan the release and get the big picture. You can then concentrate more on the leadership aspect of being the big kahuna.

Excellent question BTW. The fact you even asked it puts you way ahead of the game. Good luck.

Awesome advice, Caveman. I didn't have the foresight to start a thread like this, but I'll take all the knowledge I can get. I'll try to do better what you suggested.

(Wow, actual good advice from flightinfo. Who'da thunk it?)

-Goose

A good FO should bring some experience to the cockpit with him/her. Offer suggestions to the CA without overstepping your bounds (don't try to be a right seat captain!) If the captain does something, or makes a decision you don't like, bring it to his/her attention, again, without overstepping your bounds. You are there to back up the CA, and vice versa. A good FO (and CA) is ALWAYS learning from the guy or gal in the other seat.

Latest resources

Back