• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A good First Officer would...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep your igloo cooler with 2 months food supply towards the back of the flightdeck, or on top of your flightbag or behind your seat, I'm OLD and not nearly as limber as you are. Don't want to break a hip climbing into or out of the seat.

Express interest in Captain flows. Participate in decision making re MEL's, Fuel, alternates..etc.

Always try and encourage the FO to think like a captain, especially once holding comes up by asking them what our BINGO fuel number will be and why?

I have asked many captains what the hardest thing about upgrade was. Without a doubt, dealing the the FA's is the most common answer.

Ask the captain if you can do the crew briefing to get use to it and feedback on what could be included. Ask the captain if you can do the PA's on the ground. Try and get to the lobby 5 min prior to van time, so you don't keep others waiting.

That's all I've got, good luck during upgrade!

if you want me to be in the lobby 5 prior, schedule the van for 5 minutes earlier. if the hotel won't do that, call a cab. i'll see you on the van at departure time.

>>>if you want me to be in the lobby 5 prior, schedule the van for 5 minutes earlier. if the hotel won't do that, call a cab. i'll see you on the van at departure time.>>>

The world doesn't revolve around you. There may and frequently are other crews that would like to leave at departure time.

>>>if you want me to be in the lobby 5 prior, schedule the van for 5 minutes earlier. if the hotel won't do that, call a cab. i'll see you on the van at departure time.>>>

The world doesn't revolve around you. There may and frequently are other crews that would like to leave at departure time.

i'm on the van at departure time. that doesn't inconvenience anyone besides you. you must be a joy to fly with.

and if you're scheduling vans so that the only way you get to the gate on time is if everything goes perfectly in the morning, you're doing a disservice to your crew, your company, and your passengers. take the earlier van if that's the case.

i'm on the van at departure time. that doesn't inconvenience anyone besides you. you must be a joy to fly with.
Ever miss a flight trying to show up at the gate "at departure time?" Ever gotten mad at a passenger for showing up right at departure time?

if you want me to be in the lobby 5 prior, schedule the van for 5 minutes earlier. if the hotel won't do that, call a cab. i'll see you on the van at departure time.

Haha! I always show at the time I scheduled the van, and not a minute earlier. I actually strive to be the last one to show at the van in my crew. It's a subliminal way of keeping pressure off my people and I tell them that if they're downstairs after me, then they are probably late. I've seen the look on a newbies face when they are the last one down so why put even a fraction more negative buzz on a trip. If they do show late then I just laugh and give them crap about the batteries being too low in their B.O.B to get the job done :)

Ever miss a flight trying to show up at the gate "at departure time?" Ever gotten mad at a passenger for showing up right at departure time?

no, and no. why would i care if a pax showed up at departure time? if the gate lets them down, great. if not, oh well.

In all seriousness, that is a situation I can't fathom and wish all that go through it the best of luck.

yeah, we'll see how that goes. I'm now a 6th-year FO, after sitting in the left seat for 6 months before downgrading. I don't foresee a lot of CRM issues unless the CA's doing something unsafe or in violation of company procedures.

My SA is a lot better in the right seat. Other than that, been there, done that. My big question is will my airline be around in another year?

If I don't do something, I might have a reason for it. 99% I tell you why, but if you are not there I will probably forget to.

All I ask is don't just reach up and flip on the windshield heat at the gate without discussing why I didn't want it on. (It's either hot weather, or the GPU is on the verge of tripping)

If I turn on only 1 pack immediately after APU startup, don't reach up and turn the other on....I didn't forget (just giving 2 minutes to the other one)

If I turn off the Taxi-recog light while stopped, dont reach up and turn it on when we start moving...I promise, I didn't forget. (We are blinding that guy)

Dont reach up and do the climb check when you are hand flying and pop off the seat belt sign "climb checks done" (follow SOP's)

Just involve us both and I will do the same.

That is all.

Last edited:
You guys missed an important one, atleast for me. You can practice being the Captain by buying mine and the FA's beer on the last night of the trip, instead of me buying yours. :beer:

Latest resources

Back