A better way to board a plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds reasonable

In theory, it sounds like a good idea. But as the previous poster said, in actual practice I think it wouldn't work.

In theory, it sounds like a good idea. But as the previous poster said, in actual practice I think it wouldn't work.

Well, it did say in the article, "The outcome is fairly robust in the sense that it's relatively insensitive to deviations from it...", i.e., all the dumbmasses who fail to follow instructions. After all, supposedly boarding even randomly is faster than the current method. I found that fascinating, and hopefully someone in management does too. I'm not sure what's more amazing, that someone came up with a boarding method that's SIX TIMES FASTER than the current method, or that management will probably completely ignore this scientific research!

For simplicity, his model assumes a plane with 120 passengers seated in 40 rows, each with a central aisle having three seats to the left and three seats to the right of it.

Six people in 40 rows comes up to 240, by my math. For an astrophysicist, his arithmetic skills are amazingly bad. :laugh:

i don't think that the average person knows what an even or odd number is. they can barley read the numer on thier ticket and match that with one on the seat. it will never change especially since more people are flying.

Like they said..just assign them zones. Doubtful anyone will adopt it for a while though.

Fuzzy Math

If they can't figure out what row they are in now, how will they figure out row + letter or row + window/center/aisle in the future? Never happen.

Lets see how many airlines eventually adopt this method.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/WhosCounting/story?id=6562852&page=1
Doesn't Delta do this to some degree? They board by zones. After the courtesies extended to Zone 1 (1st Class, Premium Frequent Fliers, Special Needs, etc), it seems zone 2 is back of the plane window, zone 3 back of the plane aisle and front of the plane window, and zone 4 is front of the plane aisle. Seems like I have seen up to 8 zones on larger Delta planes. I like it.

Latest resources

Back