• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is the crux of the issue as I read it. As of now, VA is limited to the 162nm limitation on the SFO/LAX - CUN flights requiring an excessive routing near land when crossing the east coast of mainland Mexico over the gulf to CUN. In order to exceed the 162nm limitation (out to an approximate 300nm limit) VA needs to install life rafts. VA's plan seems to be to proceed with ETOPS certification, which will both satisfy the CUN "shortcut" and eventually allow for west coast/Hawaii service.

S

SFO-CUN is not a route that requires ETOPS. To exceed the 162NM limit, life rafts have to be installed. A company can do ETOPS experience flights on domestic runs, they just have to treat them as ETOPS flights rule wise. The airline I was with did that when getting approved for ETOPS.

I started it with A320 question and it also had to do with VA. This is where you get the most hits anyway..I'm not a big lover of them by any means....

I believe they were just recently classified by the DOT as a "major" (meaning they have at least 1% of the domestic market.

S
To be considered as a major, an airline has to make $1B in revenue per year. Virgin America doesn't make it yet - total revenue for 2009 was $548M, and 2011 was $724M. They're getting closer, but not there yet.

HAL

To be considered as a major, an airline has to make $1B in revenue per year. Virgin America doesn't make it yet - total revenue for 2009 was $548M, and 2011 was $724M. They're getting closer, but not there yet.

HAL

Thanks-

Where did you find the full year 2011 revenue number?

S

HAL
Wonder how they'll do if the pilots EVER stand up and start accepting pay for work instead of flying for free just to get their hands on a Big Shiny Jet??

I'm making almost triple what I did at my regional a few years ago. Do you actually do your job "just to get your hands on a big shiny jet?" If not, why would you think others would do the same? Are you somehow superior to every pilot at Virgin? How about our guys who lost their jobs at United, Aloha, ABEX, ATA, Midwest Express? Or the guys who retired from Southwest and Delta and came here when age 65 came to be. Most of whom are now captains and are making much more than they would be if they had gone to Delta in 2008 (perhaps the only other airline hiring at the time)? Did they "just want to get their hands on a big shiny jet?"

Retard.

Last edited:
I'm making almost triple what I did at my regional a few years ago. Do you actually do your job "just to get your hands on a big shiny jet?" If not, why would you think others would do the same? Are you somehow superior to every pilot at Virgin? How about our guys who lost their jobs at United, Aloha, ABEX, ATA, Midwest Express? Or the guys who retired from Southwest and Delta and came here when age 65 came to be. Most of whom are now captains and are making much more than they would be if they had gone to Delta in 2008 (perhaps the only other airline hiring at the time)? Did they "just want to get their hands on a big shiny jet?"

Retard.

Yeah, I think they did. To retire from SWA or Delta and then hire on at VA is sad.

Yeah, our ex 767, 757, 737, and DC9 and DC8 captains had Shiny Jet Syndrome and came to VX to get their fix. Got it.

Retard.

Latest resources

Back