• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the aircraft dont have dual HF? The Gulf does have a portion where you do enter class II airspace. You either need dual HF or you can apply for a exemption to operate without it.

Dual HF, or HF and Satcom ? If class II Nav requires dual HF then somebodies in trouble ........ :eek:

The reason I ask is the fact that ETOPS does not help with a more efficient routing to CUN from any U.S. city pairs.

Hawaii notwithstanding.

I'm not sure I'd bet the farm on that. Without ETOPS, what's the limit, 162 Miles off shore? That means no cutting across the gulf. From the tip of the Mexican Peninsula to the nearest point in the US (excluding staying 162 miles off the Florida and Cuban coast) it's >520 miles to Southern Louisiana. A more realistic routing from SFO is about 2300 miles of which a >650 mile segment from Southern TX is over the Gulf.

EDIT: PHX to PANC is > 2500 miles and the AWA (ahem, USAir) Airbuses can do that so I'm not sure leg length is the issue.

I'm just a rookie Airbus guy, though. I don't fly that big boy, experienced pilot ETOPS stuff and maybe I'm figuring it wrong.

Last edited:
The 162nm rule for ops without rafts. With rafts (non ETOPS), you're limited to the one hour from an alternate or ~300nm.

SKC is correct....Op Spec A013 allows operations up 162NM off a coast- "Conduct extended overwater turbojet operations without the required emergency equipment" (life rafts). The AR routes on the east coast are all within 162NM for example. ETOPS allows operation greater the 60 minutes from an adequate airport (for a 2 engine aircraft), has nothing to do with flying over the Gulf.... a B757-200 60 minute range (1 engine out, still air) is about 435NM

SKC is correct....Op Spec A013 allows operations up 162NM off a coast- "Conduct extended overwater turbojet operations without the required emergency equipment" (life rafts). The AR routes on the east coast are all within 162NM for example. ETOPS allows operation greater the 60 minutes from an adequate airport (for a 2 engine aircraft), has nothing to do with flying over the Gulf.... a B757-200 60 minute range (1 engine out, still air) is about 435NM

This is the crux of the issue as I read it. As of now, VA is limited to the 162nm limitation on the SFO/LAX - CUN flights requiring an excessive routing near land when crossing the east coast of mainland Mexico over the gulf to CUN. In order to exceed the 162nm limitation (out to an approximate 300nm limit) VA needs to install life rafts. VA's plan seems to be to proceed with ETOPS certification, which will both satisfy the CUN "shortcut" and eventually allow for west coast/Hawaii service.

S

The 162nm rule for ops without rafts. With rafts (non ETOPS), you're limited to the one hour from an alternate or ~300nm.

A320 is just over 400nm off shore.

This is the crux of the issue as I read it. As of now, VA is limited to the 162nm limitation on the SFO/LAX - CUN flights requiring an excessive routing near land when crossing the east coast of mainland Mexico over the gulf to CUN. In order to exceed the 162nm limitation (out to an approximate 300nm limit) VA needs to install life rafts. VA's plan seems to be to proceed with ETOPS certification, which will both satisfy the CUN "shortcut" and eventually allow for west coast/Hawaii service.

S

Bingo! You got it.

We will need ETOPS "experience" to push the new sharklet & NEO busses from 120 minute to 180 minute ETOPS. Mexico routings will be one of the ways to get it. The other is conducting the delivery flights under ETOPS, even though we could do them FAR 91.

Our current 162 mile authorization is only for the Gulf Of Mexico, we currently have to comply with 50 NM on the PVR routings.

Bingo! You got it.

We will need ETOPS "experience" to push the new sharklet & NEO busses from 120 minute to 180 minute ETOPS. Mexico routings will be one of the ways to get it. The other is conducting the delivery flights under ETOPS, even though we could do them FAR 91.

You can be certified 180 minute ETOPS initally without first holding 120 Minute certification.

MTV

Latest resources

Back