• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To be considered as a major, an airline has to make $1B in revenue per year. Virgin America doesn't make it yet - total revenue for 2009 was $548M, and 2011 was $724M. They're getting closer, but not there yet.

HAL

Love how people are so called experts. According from an internal email from our CEO on 3/15 we have crossed the $1B threshold to be considered a major. I am sure you have a more credible source however..

Chairman
http://www.examiner.com/airline-industry-in-national/virgin-america-makes-dot-consumer-report-debut

Last edited:
Love how people are so called experts. According from an internal email from our CEO on 3/15 we have crossed the $1B threshold to be considered a major. I am sure you have a more credible source however..

Chairman

Love how people like to jump on people and don't take the time to read carefully what the person they are dissing actually said.
HAL correctly described the definition of a Major and said as of last year they weren't quite there yet. His using "yet" in a way that indicated he thought they were on their way to that benchmark.
You come back with an indignant "as of 3/15 WE ARE A MAJOR!" as if Hal was wrong. All he said is they were on their way and as of last year they hadn't quite reached it yet but they would soon, your little diatribe sounded like it came right out of the cable news playbook.

Love how people like to jump on people and don't take the time to read carefully what the person they are dissing actually said.
HAL correctly described the definition of a Major and said as of last year they weren't quite there yet. His using "yet" in a way that indicated he thought they were on their way to that benchmark.
You come back with an indignant "as of 3/15 WE ARE A MAJOR!" as if Hal was wrong. All he said is they were on their way and as of last year they hadn't quite reached it yet but they would soon, your little diatribe sounded like it came right out of the cable news playbook.

He wrote we make only 724M in 2011....That would not make us a major and would give him inside info to our 2011 earnings

Chairman
http://www.examiner.com/airline-industry-in-national/virgin-america-makes-dot-consumer-report-debut

Wow, time to switch to decaf Chairman. Dan Roman is right - I was simply telling the previous poster what the official definition of a major airline was. As far as the U.S. government definition, it is more than $1B in revenue in a calendar year. Your CEO may certainly be correct in saying that in the previous 12 months (as of 3/15) the airline's revenue totaled one billion. But as far as the official definition by the DOT, you'll have to wait until the 2012 numbers come out in the spring of 2013 before you can pop the cork. All I did was look at the public financials for 2011 when I quoted the $724M number. It's nothing devious, nothing denigrating Virgin America, and certainly nothing against the pilots there. They've been nothing but great to me when I've jumpseated on them, and I even bought tickets on them last year for my family vacation to California. They loved it, and we're booked on them again in a few weeks. Chill out. Not everyone on this board is out to get you. ;)

HAL

Wow, time to switch to decaf Chairman. Dan Roman is right - I was simply telling the previous poster what the official definition of a major airline was. As far as the U.S. government definition, it is more than $1B in revenue in a calendar year. Your CEO may certainly be correct in saying that in the previous 12 months (as of 3/15) the airline's revenue totaled one billion. But as far as the official definition by the DOT, you'll have to wait until the 2012 numbers come out in the spring of 2013 before you can pop the cork. All I did was look at the public financials for 2011 when I quoted the $724M number. It's nothing devious, nothing denigrating Virgin America, and certainly nothing against the pilots there. They've been nothing but great to me when I've jumpseated on them, and I even bought tickets on them last year for my family vacation to California. They loved it, and we're booked on them again in a few weeks. Chill out. Not everyone on this board is out to get you. ;)

HAL

The jets are purchased for VA by a foriegn billionaire and given to VA illegally. VA then hires pilots that are willing to "fly" them around for 50% below industry averages. Wonder how you will feel when they start flying to Hawaii and undercut the crap out of HAL forcing you to take a major paycut?? And please.....no stupid comments about a superior product or customer service. The only thing that matters to people is the ticket price.

I'm making almost triple what I did at my regional a few years ago. Do you actually do your job "just to get your hands on a big shiny jet?" If not, why would you think others would do the same? Are you somehow superior to every pilot at Virgin? How about our guys who lost their jobs at United, Aloha, ABEX, ATA, Midwest Express? Or the guys who retired from Southwest and Delta and came here when age 65 came to be. Most of whom are now captains and are making much more than they would be if they had gone to Delta in 2008 (perhaps the only other airline hiring at the time)? Did they "just want to get their hands on a big shiny jet?"

Retard.

Almost triple from your regional job?? so what....$15,000*3= $45,000?? to program around an A320 is BS and half what you should be making! You're an idiot and a huge part of the problem we face in the pilot profession these days. I am not superior to anyone, but I would never prostitute myself or my profession either just to "fly" something bigger than my RJ.

Latest resources

Back