• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

98% Spirit Pilots Authorize Strike!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A vote in favor of a strike is one thing. Actually shutting down and airline with an actual stirike is a whole different ball game. Spirit Airlines won't be striking anytime soon.

Spirit Airlines won't be striking anytime soon.

The Mediator has already expressed his displeasure with the tactics of our management and stated that he has no problem releasing us for a strike...negotiations resume next week, we shall see what happens. I guess the cooling off period could start as early as the end of next week.

I agree with one thing, If Spirit Pilots do strike, I really hope they get what they want.
Are they willing to walk away from their job? for good?
That is the decision you have to make when and IF you do strike, As NWA,
My father worked NWA 1969 until 2003. Lost around 3 years seniority in strike time.
Things were different then, unity, meant doing what you had to do. Not playing by the rules.
EXAMPLES..
Scab Lists, Management intimidation, Picket lines that shut the entire airport down for Hours. Fist fights at picket lines. Phone calls in the middle of the night, Picketlines with 10 times the number of people permitted by the local law, ect....)Now the rules are against labor. Mec's need to enforce a contract, with force sometimes, not always through arbitration many years after the fact. Some times a wild cat stike is needed to put management on their heals and take notice.
If a few Mec's go to Jail for a bit for "illeagal job action, so what, that Damage has been done. Just like when a company say's fly and greive later.

I guess what I am saying is I have seen the "chest thumping" in the past, but it fizzles real fast when the reality of losing your seniority, job, and life style.
I really hope it works out for labor...
I have been through this phase numerous times in the end it just seems like Noise.

Good luck, Someone needs to take a stand.
I think the last ones that really did were the NWA FA's a few years back.

Cheers

Good luck, Someone needs to take a stand.
I think the last ones that really did were the NWA FA's a few years back.
The NWA Mechanics also took a hard stand against management. Things didn't turn out so well for those guys though. Scabs were bussed in to take over. Union's are not immune against union busting. Hopefully the Spirit pilots are well aware of the consequences. Management and their high priced lawers are planning "war games" as we speak. This game ain't checkers, it's chess. Think very hard before you move your pieces. Every move has life-altering impacts.

You probably don't realize what a badge of honor it is for ALPA officers to wear their strike pins. There are two groups: those with a strike pin and those without. Also, you cannot gain a senior level position within ALPA National without a strike pin.

While it's certainly true that former strikers wear their battle star pins with pride, it's not true at all that you need one to get elected to a top position. The VP-Admin, basically the #3 guy in ALPA, doesn't have a battle star pin. I think there is only 1 EVP left that has one.

The NWA Mechanics also took a hard stand against management. Things didn't turn out so well for those guys though. Scabs were bussed in to take over. Union's are not immune against union busting. Hopefully the Spirit pilots are well aware of the consequences. Management and their high priced lawers are planning "war games" as we speak. This game ain't checkers, it's chess. Think very hard before you move your pieces. Every move has life-altering impacts.

True Northwest did bust the Mechanics, but they had about a year to train their replacements in PHX before the they went on strike (NW also stiffed the hotels they used to accomodate these scabs when they filed for Bankruptcy). Add to this the rift that developed between the AFL-CIO and several other unions that broke away that July AMFA being one of them. This created the perfect storm, because ALPA being associated with the AFL-CIO didn't want to support another union that had just split for fear this would cause more member unions to split. I certainly do not support this move an think it is political BS in it purest form. Nonetheless, this is the reason the Mechanics where busted at Northwest. A perfect storm of events where ultimately the workers got screwed. I remember all this well sitting reserve in DTW and hearing it on the news and jumpseating to an from work.

True Northwest did bust the Mechanics, but they had about a year to train their replacements in PHX before the they went on strike (NW also stiffed the hotels they used to accomodate these scabs when they filed for Bankruptcy). Add to this the rift that developed between the AFL-CIO and several other unions that broke away that July AMFA being one of them. This created the perfect storm, because ALPA being associated with the AFL-CIO didn't want to support another union that had just split for fear this would cause more member unions to split. I certainly do not support this move an think it is political BS in it purest form. Nonetheless, this is the reason the Mechanics where busted at Northwest. A perfect storm of events where ultimately the workers got screwed. I remember all this well sitting reserve in DTW and hearing it on the news and jumpseating to an from work.
Given the current situation with the economy/industry right now, I think more harm than good will come from a Spirit strike. They know that and will not strike. When and if the time comes, and the clock strikes midnight, last minute deals will be cut. However, I don't think it will even get that far.

Latest resources

Back