• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

80 kt call out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not 100% sure but I always thought it has something to do with brake cooling after an RTO.

Would love to hear from someone that knows for sure...

crjdude

for take off, isn't that is when you start to have rudder authority? As in, get off the tiller and "fly" the airplane even though you aren't airborne yet.

For landing, never heard of an 80kt call out.

Does anyone have any good info on 80kt callout? I know due to low energy etc. But any good links/details?

In high performance aircraft the 80 knot call identifies the point beyond which a reject should be executed only for fire, failure, config warning or the sense the airplane won't fly (your out). The rationale is the risk reward equation of high speed aborts for any reason shifts dramatically toward the disaster of runway overrun and the attendant unpleasantries. And the callout reinforces the idea that after 80 knots we are going flying.

The callout is initiated at 80 knots unlike the V1 call which is often called 5 knots early so as to insure the reject is initiated before V1 as the data favors continuing.

Hope this helps....

The 80kt callout and check also ensures both airspeed indicators are working correctly.

80 kts on take off for power set, on landing 80 for reversers having to be stowed by 60

In high performance aircraft the 80 knot call identifies the point beyond which a reject should be executed only for fire, failure, config warning or the sense the airplane won't fly (your out). The rationale is the risk reward equation of high speed aborts for any reason shifts dramatically toward the disaster of runway overrun and the attendant unpleasantries. And the callout reinforces the idea that after 80 knots we are going flying.

The callout is initiated at 80 knots unlike the V1 call which is often called 5 knots early so as to insure the reject is initiated before V1 as the data favors continuing.

Hope this helps....
Totally wrong for the 2 part 121 airline, 1 part 125 job and 2 part 135 corporate jobs I've held. Also neve taught this way at any of the 4 type rating courses I've attended.

V1 is called at V1 and 80 kts has nothing to do with making abort criteria more stringent. 80 kts is an airspeed indicator check and in the 767 when the engines should be at t/o power with the autothrottles in "throttle hold".

for take off, isn't that is when you start to have rudder authority? As in, get off the tiller and "fly" the airplane even though you aren't airborne yet.

For landing, never heard of an 80kt call out.
If the planes I've flown, if you're on the tiller at 80 kts, you're luck if you stay on the runway.

As pilotyip said: 80 kts on rollout to give the pilot flying an idea 60kts/reversers stowed is coming shortly. We actuall call 100, 80 & 60 on the landing rollout.

80 knot call

While the 80 knot call serves the purpose of airspeed and power checks on takeoff, it is also the threshold between the low and high speed takeoff abort/reject regimes. Most reputable operators and air carriers have specific criteria for high speed aborts, and rightfully so (e.g. fire, sudden power loss, major damage or loss of directional control)...

At a little over 80 KIAS one some airplanes, the autobrake RTO function is armed, but I like pal's explanation the best.

Latest resources

Back