8 People in a CJ2?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

Is there any way to get eight pax in a CJ2 with two pilots, no belted lav, and then fly two hours? Thinking of a replacement for our 550. Thanks

Yeah if you have two lap babies :)

Last edited:
First off, unless there is a floor plan i'm not aware of, you won't have enough seats. Second, you will most likely exceed zero fuel weight. Then you will most likely exceed max gross weight.

BEW approx. 7750
pilots x 2 360
pax (175 lbs) 1400
Bags 200
Fuel 3000 (1st hr 1100 lbs, 2nd hour 900lbs, 1000 reserves)

Ramp Wt 12710 (Max 12500)
Zero Fuel Wt 9710 (Max 9300)

Replace your 550 with a CJ3. Internal demensions are almost identical but cruises faster, bigger baggage, better avionics.

THE Flying Ace said:
Replace your 550 with a CJ3. Internal demensions are almost identical but cruises faster, bigger baggage, better avionics.

Yeah but if we placed an order tomorrow I think it would be about 2+ years before we have it. Its also a little bit above our budget. With the fuel prices going through the roof, we were thinking of getting something that burns a little less fuel.

But, a CJ3 would be awesome.

you can get a slot for a CJ3 they are about $300,000. there are several for sale that puts the price around 6.7

If you like the 550 interior but just need better fuel economy you could check out the Bravo. Same airplane but with the 530 engines, would save you a few bucks in gas and get you another 40 knots or so.(395 to 402 kts normally) Hot section is on demand and TBO is 4000 hours, most that I have seen go to TBO without needing the hot done. I have not specifically done a comparison between the old 550 and bravo but when I honchoed one we always came in cheaper per year on maint. than our hanger neighbor did. (CII)

Good used Bravos used to be had for 3.5 to 4 mil, I think they have gone up a bit in the past couple of years but still cheaper than Used CJ-2 and new 3.

It will do the eight with one on the crapper as long as none are too tubby and not much baggage. Full tanks will get you 1500 miles with good reserves(1900 miles to flame out, or so the book says!! Never tested that one out!!!)

Groundpounder said:
Yeah but if we placed an order tomorrow I think it would be about 2+ years before we have it. Its also a little bit above our budget.
Have you looked into buying out someones position who already has one on order, and is looking to get out of it?

We had a guy at the airport I'm based at do that a couple months ago. Should have his airplane by the end of the year. Have no idea how much he paid, but it might be worth a looky.

User997 said:
Have you looked into buying out someones position who already has one on order, and is looking to get out of it?

We had a guy at the airport I'm based at do that a couple months ago. Should have his airplane by the end of the year. Have no idea how much he paid, but it might be worth a looky.

You said looky! :laugh:

When you buy a position like this are you usually paying more that what the person holding the position paid. I'm guessing yes?

Latest resources

Back