• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CMI

folgers from a tube sock
7X Shakedown Article

Anyone read the “Flying the Oceans a 7X Shakedown” article in the November 2009 Business & Commercial Aviation on page 26? I was taken back a little with all the problems they were having with the aircraft. Is this normal for a new aircraft entering the market? I thought Dassault would have most of the bugs worked out before going to market.

We had similar issues when we took delivery of our 2000EX EASy's several years ago. I think it is fairly well know that with the Honeywell/Dassault airframe/avionics package there were some issues. We did not miss any trips and received great support from the parties involved. As the software updates came around, the spurious messages and problems began to go away very quickly. There are some techniques that need to be adjusted between school and the aircraft as well.

My guess is that very soon as the machine and avionics mature with multitudes of updates, the problems will disappear as it has for our aircraft. My guess is that it is and will be a great aircraft.
ymmv

We had similar issues when we took delivery of our 2000EX EASy's several years ago. I think it is fairly well know that with the Honeywell/Dassault airframe/avionics package there were some issues. We did not miss any trips and received great support from the parties involved. As the software updates came around, the spurious messages and problems began to go away very quickly. There are some techniques that need to be adjusted between school and the aircraft as well.

My guess is that very soon as the machine and avionics mature with multitudes of updates, the problems will disappear as it has for our aircraft. My guess is that it is and will be a great aircraft.
ymmv

This is very accurate.

The airplane in the article has a 100% dispatch rate.

The issues are odd boot up error messages and test fault messages. More of a headache than a trip stopper. Coming out of an EASy or other newer type plane you may be used to it and will adapt quick.

Not making excuses for it, I personally think these planes have gotten too complex. Since when did we ever need to run an automated test on the RAT or the Windshield? Been flying for years without that....

Its a pretty neat airplane - performs great, is so quiet its eerie, and is a blast to fly.

Typical Falcon downside of touchy brakes and no TR's..wish they added them.

Last edited:
I thought Citigroup was forced to dump its 7X order due to all of the lame political pressure a few months back? Do they still operate the Global and the Falcon 900EXs or did they sell some of those off?

Glad to see that department is still up and running (unlike those from the auto companies)... One thing is for certain, the author (Ross) is a very good writer and I have enjoyed his articles over the years.

I thought Citigroup was forced to dump its 7X order due to all of the lame political pressure a few months back? Do they still operate the Global and the Falcon 900EXs or did they sell some of those off?

Glad to see that department is still up and running (unlike those from the auto companies)... One thing is for certain, the author (Ross) is a very good writer and I have enjoyed his articles over the years.

The plane in the article is not a Citigroup airplane.

Last edited:
The plane in the article is not a Citigroup airplane.

Good to know. After all of the flak they have received due to the TARP I doubt it would have been possible to operate one. Regardless, a global bank like Citigroup needs a tool (or tools) to manage globally. The argument is completely ridiculous considering Congresspeople use private jets as well.

Oh well - rant over....

I just read the article myself and it was very well written. I agree that the author is a good writer and I too have read a few of his articles.

I believe I have seen the 7X at HPN - nice looking bird! You probably need to be a C-5/C-17 or F22 pilot to get hired to fly it. I think the article mentioned that one of the pilots was a C-5 guy.

A mechanic I used to work with was saying once the any time you do serious maintenance on a glass airplane you have to reload the software, which takes a day if you know what you're doing and a couple days if you don't. A DO I used to work for said on a G4 sometimes you just have to shut everything down and start cold. And it has to be even more complicated on the new airplanes.

I just read the article and it sounds like the 7x isn't ready for prime time yet, reminds me of the Learjet 45 when it came out to soon and operators became test pilots. Also, some questionable great French engineering involved.

Saw one @ DAL the other day. It was absolutely stunning!

Latest resources

Back