• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

787 (cough caugh gag cough) starts up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the Boeing Aero from 4Q 06, there's a great write up on the 787, including why they've moved towards a "no bleed, more electrics system architecture". Here's a snippet:

The Boeing 787 reflects a completely new approach to onboard systems. Virtually everything that has traditionally been powered by bleed-air from the engines has been transitioned to an electric architecture.
The affected systems include:
Engine start
Auxiliary power unit (APU ) start
Wing ice protection
Cabin pressurization
Hydraulic pumps

Here's a link to the issue: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/articles/qtr_4_06/index.html

Last edited:
Think about it. Less weight of the duct work, and less bleed overall mean more thrust to move the jet, and or a lower specific fuel consumption for a given airspeed.

If you are not bleeding the air off of the compressor, it makes the engine more efficient. Wonder why you do a PKOFF takeoff? More thrust for given thrust setting.

Yep- "Picking oil" Sure.....

I would like to know why they would use such oil of stainless steel and titanium parts.... There is not one single part in any modern jet engine that will rust.

Maybe they needed like 1500 gallons of "pickling oil" for the wammmmerflainker valve.

-Believe what you wish.

-I just hope Boeing can get it together with this plane-it looks great on paper, but they sure are striving to make it interesting.
I don't know what was in it. Maybe that was the mother of all hot starts. :eek:

If so, they failed the universal turbine abnormal start checklist:

fuel SH
utoff..Ignition on..Time to starter limit

Latest resources

Back