787 (cough caugh gag cough) starts up!

~~~^~~~

Total Time
7,500+
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2009/05/video-boeing-787---za001---eng.html

It's a smoky thing. Guess it was burning out some sort of solvent or engine storage goop.

Like the frog in the video...

EVERETT, Wash., May 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA continued to make steady progress toward the first flight of the 787 Dreamliner, completing the first engine runs on the all-new airplane. The occasion marks the first all-electric start of a commercial jetliner engine on a twin-aisle commercial jetliner; the engines had been started electronically in test facilities earlier.

Engine runs began at 9:30 a.m. (PDT) today and ended 40 minutes later. During initial engine runs, the engines are started and operated at various power settings to ensure all systems perform as expected. Today's engine run test began with the Auxiliary Power System providing power to start the two Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines. Basic systems checks continued throughout the test. The engines were powered down and inspected and will be restarted following a technical review. The team completed a vibration check and monitored the shutdown logic to ensure it functioned as expected.

"We were very pleased with the performance on the engines during this test," said Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager of the 787 program. "We will now get ready for our intermediate and final gauntlet tests."

Last edited:

jetjock6

Total Time
Buku
If you got a mosquito problem, the 787 might be the solution.

mazbaird

Total Time
The engines are shipped with "pickling" oil in them, it was just burning off, no biggie.

DrewBlows

Go Tigers!
Total Time
The occasion marks the first all-electric start of a commercial jetliner engine on a twin-aisle commercial jetliner; the engines had been started electronically in test facilities earlier.
What does this mean? Are they using starter/generators or something similar to start the engines? Electric air pumps?

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
Reminds me of L1011 on a cold day.

catIIIc

Total Time
5000+
What does this mean? Are they using starter/generators or something similar to start the engines? Electric air pumps?
Yes there is no excess bleed air to start the engines so they use very large starter generators.

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
Total Time
3,000+
The APU supplies electric power to the electric starter/generators.

~~~^~~~

Total Time
7,500+
A friend of mine has a small, hand cranked, German turbine engine. The turbine is really just a mini APU with a generator on it. Cranking that contrary SOB is a true test of manhood. I can not even conceive of an electric motor that could start a Trent 1000.

Wonder what the starter cooling times are?

crj567

Yep- "Picking oil" Sure.....

I would like to know why they would use such oil of stainless steel and titanium parts.... There is not one single part in any modern jet engine that will rust.

Maybe they needed like 1500 gallons of "pickling oil" for the wammmmerflainker valve.

-Believe what you wish.

-I just hope Boeing can get it together with this plane-it looks great on paper, but they sure are striving to make it interesting.

spitfire1500

Total Time
Enough
They ran those engines in Marana a few months ago. Very quiet.

Last edited:

ackattacker

Client 9
Total Time
hah!
I can not even conceive of an electric motor that could start a Trent 1000.
According to published specs, each engine is equipped with 2 250kVA starter generators.

500 kVA equates to about 536 horsepower and can start the engine in under 40 seconds using both or under 70 seconds using one starter.

That is a lot of electrons.

Scope out RJ's

Banned
Total Time

I would like to know why they would use such oil of stainless steel and titanium parts.... There is not one single part in any modern jet engine that will rust.

Maybe they needed like 1500 gallons of "pickling oil" for the wammmmerflainker valve.

-Believe what you wish.

-I just hope Boeing can get it together with this plane-it looks great on paper, but they sure are striving to make it interesting.
Go back to picking your nose and serving fries dickweed! The regionals forum is on the other page!

Sig

Total Time
100%
According to published specs, each engine is equipped with 2 250kVA starter generators.
I'm too silly to look up the specs, because I think they'd say the same thing you did. I would still be lost.

What unit of measure is a kVA?

Thanks-

ackattacker

Client 9
Total Time
hah!
I'm too silly to look up the specs, because I think they'd say the same thing you did. I would still be lost.

What unit of measure is a kVA?

Thanks-
a VA is a "Volt Amp", similar to a watt but not exactly since we're talking about Alternating Current and inductive loads.

Roughly 500kVA is 500,000 Watts.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's

-Believe what you wish.
Ah, ignorance.

I suppose the licks of flames out of this old 737 is just a Boeing PR stunt? In a CAL hangar 15 years after delivery, 1 hour after a new FCU was installed? http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/5/8/0639854.jpg

And I suppose the smoke and flames pouring from this 737 with a new engine is another Boeing PR stunt, in the cold and dark of a Scandinavian winter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc8o_h-dn0

Club ORD FO

Total Time
What's the benefit to using starter/generators on such a big engine instead of bleed air?