• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

767 drivers... here's a rare pic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At CAL, we touch everything, and I mean the whole panel. Doesn't matter whose leg it is, the FO does the entire overhead. Then comes the before start checklist where the fo again throws every switch on the overhead. The after start goes the same as well as the parking check where again, the fo is all over the overhead actually having to lean over the CA's head to shut off the hydraulics. The CA does touch the seatbelt sign when he is PM and pushes the sterile light and makes the bells going through 10,000......

Isn't it funny how the same plane can be flown so differently from airline to airline? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing the work. It keeps me from getting bored. It's just the domestic 757-300 stuff where I'm doing it all and answering the cabin calls, working the air systems, making the pa's on a 35 minute flight from IAH to SAT where it starts to get tedious....

War Eagle BTW

At CAL, we touch everything, and I mean the whole panel.................. It's just the domestic 757-300 stuff where I'm doing it all and answering the cabin calls, working the air systems, making the pa's on a 35 minute flight from IAH to SAT where it starts to get tedious....

War Eagle BTW

Sounds similar to TWA where the F/O was being prepared to upgrade. The pilot flying made all the PA's.

We were amazed at AA, they don't trust the F/O to do anything. The Capt makes all PA's on all legs including the "Flight Attendants, Prepare for T/O" as he's taxing the aircraft. Every other airline in the world probably has the F/O make that PA!

PM-Pilot Monitoring? Y'all have already decided that before you sit down in the cockpit?

Typically yes. The first leg of the trip if I beat the CA to the gate I assume that he/she/it is gonna start out as PF. If we decide otherwise, just flip the ignition switch to 2...

Isn't it funny how the same plane can be flown so differently from airline to airline?

That is true, at ANA the PNF does the cockpit preparation including the overhead panel. The PF (Cap/FO) does the walkaround and the cabin crew briefing. The hydraulic panel is set by the cap. on every leg, the darned thing is right over my head anyway

Wow. Pretty cool pic. Looks like the entire overhead has been moved to the P61 panel. I would like to see the overhead panel on that airplane. I guess Cargo Heat, Window Heat, IRS's, and HF radios would be about it.

Sound's kinda like the old 72' and L10 day's I always hear about for the FO's. "Pitot heat, window heat, let's eat!" Just in this case.. "cargo heat, window heat, let's eat!"

Sounds similar to TWA where the F/O was being prepared to upgrade. The pilot flying made all the PA's.

We were amazed at AA, they don't trust the F/O to do anything. The Capt makes all PA's on all legs including the "Flight Attendants, Prepare for T/O" as he's taxing the aircraft. Every other airline in the world probably has the F/O make that PA!

While what you say about PAs is true at AA, that bit about not trusting F/Os is nonsense. The F/O preflights the entire panel on EVERY leg. The F/O runs the whole before start/after start/taxi/before TO checklists. Our F/Os are pretty busy.

The only thing the CA does is start the engines (well, they flip the engine start selectors, the F/O actually engages the fuel control switches) and taxi.

The whole PA issue at AA has always eluded me. I've come to figure out that it's simply ancestral worship. At my old airline, it was in our manuals that as PNF, we were responsible for PAs. AA has no such rule. As such, when a CA asks an F/O to make a PA, the standard answer is, "I don't get paid enough to do that." tongue in cheek, of course. It's just not part of our policy. Kinda nice, really - it makes being an F/O that much easier, one less thing to have to screw up, ya know?

As far as cabin notification PA on taxi out, I agree - it should be an F/O duty.

Latest resources

Back