• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

757 system question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was in Puerto Plata the night that the Virgen Air 75 crashed, it is by far the worst memory of my career. I remember hearing about Aero Peru a few months later and it just took me right back to that evening, I just could not believe that two 75's would crash the same year for the same reason, a piece of tape.

Que Dios les bendiga

Using their ground speed readout and radio altimiter with attitude and power settings might have got them down but they certainly had enough distractions with all the warnings to make it difficult.

And also dumping the cabin pressure and staying below 10K. This way they could have used the cabin altimiter to help.

Not MM Quarterbacking. This is so sad.

Was the controller looking at the wrong plane on the radar screen? He kept saying they were at 9700'.

Was the controller looking at the wrong plane on the radar screen? He kept saying they were at 9700'.

A Mode C transponder uses static pressure to transmit a pressure altitude signal to the ground based equipment. The ground computer then corrects the data for the local altimeter setting and displays the data for the controller. Essentially, the transponder and altimeters were using the same erroneous pressure data.

A Mode C transponder uses static pressure to transmit a pressure altitude signal to the ground based equipment. The ground computer then corrects the data for the local altimeter setting and displays the data for the controller. Essentially, the transponder and altimeters were using the same erroneous pressure data.

I didn't think about that...good point.

I think it's good to review these incidents and think about what you would do in a situation like this. Like some others said, you would still have your groundspeed readout and RadAlt and I'm sure the 757 has an EGPWS display derived from GPS position. It seemed like they were under the impression that ATC radar would show their actual altitude and not what was given from the transponder. I feel really bad about this, but hopefully it's a reminder to do a thorough preflight and catch this stuff before it becomes a problem.

as a pilot and a mechanic, whenever I take an aircraft out of maintenance that has been signed off to return to line service and before doing any preflight check I make sure the maintenance work was accomplished and complete. you would be surprise on what is forgot, opps pop goes the weasel. thank god for that valuable a&p experience.

Latest resources

Back