• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

747 in DAL Colors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will tell you this. We had a guy create an excel program. Plug in your pre and post merger end of year numbers and it gives you a graph.
It posted what I expected. Mine are almost exactly the same. They go up at the same time and level out at the same time.
As I stated, percentage wise, I stayed the same. From DCC to retirement. For some reason I will retire 10 numbers more senior with them merger than with out it! I am guessing that the DAL pre merger numbers are a little off ;)

I'll lose 13% in relative seniority due to this merger over the next 12 years.

I'll retire at 8% vs. 1% at NWA.

Couple this with significantly higher number of "SUPER PREMIUM WIDEBODIES" per pilot at NWA which I'll no longer will be able to enjoy, I definitely was on the short end of this deal.

The attrition definitely wasn't accounted for in this miniscule pull-n-plug deal. Also, junior DAL guys now have a CPZ flowback option which previously didn't exist. Ironically, if the furloughs happen the pre 9/11 NWA hires will lose these CPZ seats to recent DAL newhires

Not bitching, just stating the facts. I'm over it and ready to move on.

Schwanker

I'll lose 13% in relative seniority due to this merger over the next 12 years.

I'll retire at 8% vs. 1% at NWA.

Couple this with significantly higher number of "SUPER PREMIUM WIDEBODIES" per pilot at NWA which I'll no longer will be able to enjoy, I definitely was on the short end of this deal.

The attrition definitely wasn't accounted for in this miniscule pull-n-plug deal. Also, junior DAL guys now have a CPZ flowback option which previously didn't exist. Ironically, if the furloughs happen the pre 9/11 NWA hires will lose these CPZ seats to recent DAL newhires

Not bitching, just stating the facts. I'm over it and ready to move on.

Schwanker

Very doubtful any pre-9-11 hires at either airline will be furloughed, thanks to the part of our contract stating if someone prior to a Sept 1st, 2001 hire date is furloughed, every 76 seat RJ will lose 6 seats. What is great is that some of those pre Sept 1st, 01 hires are now junior to DL 07 newhires after that date, so they too are protected. Add to that any pilots junior to that date that do flow down to CPZ, the added expense of furloughing those guys, and retraining our guys, and then an eventual recall for both airlines. Very expensive. I guess DL could try to furlough people anyway, but they would have to take a look at the costs and loss of revenue from those larger RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Very doubtful any pre-9-11 hires at either airline will be furloughed, thanks to the part of our contract stating if someone prior to a Sept 1st, 2001 hire date is furloughed, every 76 seat RJ will lose 6 seats. What is great is that some of those pre Sept 1st, 01 hires are now junior to DL 07 newhires after that date, so they too are protected. Add to that any pilots junior to that date that do flow down to CPZ, the added expense of furloughing those guys, and retraining our guys, and then an eventual recall for both airlines. Very expensive. I guess DL could try to furlough people anyway, but they would have to take a look at the costs and loss of revenue from those larger RJs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good points. Forgot all about the "lose 6 seats" clause. Some good language for us to make furloughs a very tough choice for DL management. And like you said, a furlough of 300 or so Delta pilots would mean retraining almost the entire CPZ airline. We'll see...

Good points. Forgot all about the "lose 6 seats" clause. Some good language for us to make furloughs a very tough choice for DL management. And like you said, a furlough of 300 or so Delta pilots would mean retraining almost the entire CPZ airline. We'll see...

Exactly. That is why it would need to be a long term furlough to make the retraining and furlough pay for itself. I have heard three years. Current projections on demand have it returning in two to two and a half. That puts it right on the line. Waiting for DOJ approval probably saved a lot of people from being furloughed. Time will tell.

Although CPZ was a loss in scope, it wasn't as bad as the DAL folks liked to advertise. Don't get me wrong, I was never in favor of the scope relief for CPZ to become a reality, but it could have been worse.

Schwanker

Schwanker.. you are correct.

As bad as a give up as CPZ was, it actually makes furloughing more expensive and, therefore, less likely. Go figure, eh?

Latest resources

Back