737 Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flylike44

Quick question...i'm currently an fo at a regional...my number for upgrade will be coming up pretty soon, but i'll be delaying it for various reasons...A family member has offered to pay for a 73 type as a christmas gift...Being that I'm still an fo and that I don't have any plans of moving on any time soon (not that i have any choice in the matter anyway), my question is this: would it be beneficial for me to get the type rating? any negatives having it might pose in an interview (why do you have this type rating with no time in the airplane? would you rather be interviewing with southwest? etc...). Any and all responses (even the sarcastic, smarta@! responses i'm bound to get) will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...

No,just say it was a gift and that you are greatful and lucky to have gotten it. I hardley doubt it that you will get asked about this in an interview specially if that airline requires a type. Go for it dude.

This is probably way to logical, but, with no PIC time, why not have Uncle Deep Pockets put the money into a CD or money market account for you until you decide which direction to take on the upgrade and what your ultimate goal is???. If it is SWA, great, the cost of the type is covered. If not SWA, maybe you can use the $$$ to pay down debt like school loans. Either way, I would still wait until after youve been through upgrade at your current employer. If your young and have the benefit of time on your side, upgrade where you are now, get some PIC time and command experience and then decide if you still want to buy the 73 type. Who knows your goals and aspirations may change as your career progresses or as the industry changes.

Just my thoughts....good luck with your choices

thanks for the responses guys...
mercury- if you take swa, a cd, future goals, etc... out of the equation and just treat it as if you lived in a vacuum, what would be your answer?

Don't do it unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that...

1) SWA is your dream destination.
2) They will still be hiring when you meet their mins.
3) You are guaranteed to be hired by them (they have been hiring 2-3 out of 18 at their interviews.

The reason I say this is that if you ever apply to any major other than SWA, a 73 type with ZERO operational experience just SCREAMS:

1) SWA was my dream job.
2) I'd do anything to work there, including paying thousands $$$$
3) I already interviewed, and got rejected
4) Now I'm applying for plan b,c,d...

So when you interview elsewhere, you will have to answer these questions...

1) Why should we hire you if you weren't good enough for SWA?
2) If we do hire you, how long before you re-apply at SWA?
3) Why should we hire you instead of someone who REALLY wants to work for us, not SWA?

How fast can you tap dance? Probably not fast enough...

Don't, don't, don't do it. But DO have that family member PM me.

I'm obviously kidding. You can tell your interviewer that you got the type, b/c an ATP costs about $2,100 and you have a brother who was willing to foot the extra $3-4,000 for the ATP + type. It's a no-brainer for me.

Get it. All you need to say is: I had an opportunity to get a type rating at no expense to me. There is no anti-73 conspiracy. Any pilot would jump at a free opportunity to increase their experience level. Besides, SW is not the only airline that flys the 73...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back