• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Graciously accept the very generous gift. Getting the type under those circumstances will be very easy to explain at any interview. Everybody gets a break at some point. Maybe this is yours. Go for it.

I can't remember exactly from my CFI days, but for some reason I think you should make sure you have the ATP to go along with the type. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you type on a Commercial certificate, you'd lose it on an ATP certificate. Anyone?

False. My BE400 and 707 type tranfered to my ATP from my commercial.

With the way hiring is forcast to pick up in the coming years, you'll be able to get a job with a mainline company without the type waiting. You might work for an airline that flies airbuses. If you got an oppurtunity to build PIC time I'd stick with that, everything else should fall into place.

I can't remember exactly from my CFI days, but for some reason I think you should make sure you have the ATP to go along with the type. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you type on a Commercial certificate, you'd lose it on an ATP certificate. Anyone?

Absolutely not! Any type ratings on your commercial certificate *will* transfer to your ATP certificate. That's straight out of the ATP written exam.

I wouldn't want to work for any company that would hold it against you for making your resume as strong as it can possibly be. A type rating certainly separates you from some of the resumes in the stack, especially at Southwest. No airline expects that you will apply to them and only them. Why not have a resume that allows you to apply to the most airlines possible. Is Southwest going to hold it against you if have the F/E written test finished because you "obviously" want to go work for UPS or Fedex? No. In this crappy hiring period we're in right now, you have to do all you can to get ahead. Just explain to any hiring board that you got the type rating to open as many doors as possible. That doesn't mean you have to walk through the open doors. It sure is nice to have options though.

mercury- if you take swa, a cd, future goals, etc... out of the equation and just treat it as if you lived in a vacuum, what would be your answer?

Wait a minute!!!!Life in a Vacuum..??!!?? Who told you about that, I never..

All kidding aside I would have to agree that any formal sim and ground training is valuable for career development as a professional pilot. So to answer your question, I would definately take the generous gift of training.

Good luck and let us know what you do.:beer:
Now back to the PSU v NW game

So options are- something like a cheesy sweater or X-box 360, or a 73 type?

Do it.

Easily explained and also you will have a free ATP rating. If for whatever reason you end up getting furloughed and have to find a new job this may help you. As someone else said, never miss a chance to improve yourself.

You may also get some networking done and meet some people at the 737 class. This is invaluable in getting a job.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back