Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The horse is alive and living

publisher said:
OK Bobby, I will give you that they are not paying. For what they are making though, they mise well be. Where else do you get to work 36 hour shifts with some free overtime on top of that.
Agreed. See my point above about pay-through-the-nose. There are plenty of other industries and professions (such as radio, right, Timebuilder?) where people pay through the nose for years to build up quals and experience.

As to your point about the training when you switch, that is a carry over from the past and sort of rediculous. flight attendant training is a perfect example. WHy one way of doing things is not adopted across the industry is beyond me.
I agree, somewhat. However, as we have seen from this thread and similar threads, pilots, along with doctors and lawyers, have differing opinions on how things should be done.

Case in point: I knew an L-188 Electra FE years ago. He flew Electras for Zantop and for another freight hauler. I remember how he told us stories about the flap retraction procedure. I don't remember the details - it's been fourteen years - but the long and short of it was each company retracted takeoff flaps at different points of the after-takeoff checklist. So, there's the case for initial training.

While we're on this subject, I'd bet that Southwest retracts takeoff flaps on its 737s at a different point than jetBlue or Frontier on their 737s.

It would be nice if these differences in procedures could be reconciled. I doubt that it will ever happen.

Latest resources

Back